Travelling to the Swiss Alps in Sept 2019

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2019 at 21:27:57 #901486

Sure Slowpoke, I did respond to them.

Monica

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 February 2019 at 16:04:02 #901487

Hi Monica-

I was looking up some things about the Emmental, which brought to my attention that there are some nice distractions in Trubschachen. I’d certainly not want you to miss your bus(es), but I thought I’d mention them, in case there was a gap in your busy schedule that day.:

The commune ( die Gemeinde) of Trubschachen has a nice website, unfortunately, not in English.

However, the pictures on the hjome page are nice, and some of it is easy to understand.

http://www.trubschachen.ch/

“Unser Dorf” means Our Village

Under Leben und Arbeiten (Life and Work) you can find:

http://www.trubschachen.ch/le ben-arbeiten/grundversorgu ng/gastronomie-hotellerie/

( gastronomy and hotels).

One of the inns pictured there is the well known “Bären”, dating back to the 1400’s, maybe earlier:.

Unfortunately, they say:

<<“Ruhetage:

Mittwoch und Donnerstag ganzer Tag geschlossen”>>

“Quietdays – Wednesday and Thursday, closed the entire day.”

There is a huge factory that makes cookies…Kambly. They have tours, etc., (The Kambly Experience) which won’t fit your schedule, but, you’ll probably find the packages in stores all over Switzerland. Some of their products are available in the small cafe near the Folk Museum ( das Heimatmuseum), which has a cafe, a show ceramics “factory” (die Schautöpferei) and shop, and the museum.

stiftung-hasenlehn.ch/

Once again, the website is not in English.

The museum was built in 1783, as an outbuilding, and there are two or three pictures if you click on “Heimatmuseum.”

.I mention it because of your interest in local/rural culture. I would not make a trip there specifically to see it, but, it is worth the short walk from the station if you have some time to spare. ( Unlikely, I’d guess, but, you never know.)

This map shows the location, relative to the station:

stiftung-hasenlehn.ch/lageplan/

Just FYI….

Slowpoke

:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2019 at 3:27:48 #901488

Hi Slowpoke

That was so very thoughtful of you, as always, to have kept my interest in mind. I was able to translate those websites into English and simply loved that place.

I will be in Trub on Wednesday, 11th Sept, and as you mentioned that the Bären will have its quiet days on Wednesday and Thursday so I’ll miss experiencing this historical place.

I will try my utmost best to visit Kambly or the museum since they are so close to the station. Thanks for the map.

Monica

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 February 2019 at 3:39:09 #901489

<<“I will try my utmost best to visit Kambly”>>

I’d pick the museum. Somehow, I don’t put visiting a cookie factory – even if it is a Swiss cookie factory – high on my priority list for a first trip to Switzerland, unless I have a young child with me. I just mentioned it so you’ll know what it is.

http://www.kambly.com/en/676/ Products.htm

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2019 at 7:40:39 #901490

Sure Slowpoke, I’ll take your suggestion on board regarding the museum. Deep down I think I too knew it’d be the museum, thank you for confirming it for me.

Monica

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2019 at 19:11:50 #901491

Hi Swiss11. I too am a single lady from Canada who will be travelling through Switzerland in Sept. 2019. I’m still in the planning stages and like yourself, am overwhelmed with all the details. I have to be in Budapest in October to hook up with a river cruise and therefore plan to travel through Austria as well. I will be flying into either Zurich or Geneva depending on the cost and convenience of the flight but it is looking like Zurich will be my choice and I think Tuesdays seem to be the cheapest day to fly. Not sure how the Swiss franc compares to your Australia dollar but for a Canadian, my dollar is only worth about sixty cents making Switzerland very expensive for me. However, at any cost, Switzerland has been a life long dream and I am going anyway. I have found decent accommodations there are so high for a single person and so much cheaper for 2 people sharing. Wouldn’t it Be exciting if we met at the airport and travelled together? I, like you, am only requiring something clean and simple and yes, with a roof too. If you’re interested in this arrangement, we could share our personal emails to exchange details. I have already done a lot of research on the country and am a wealth of information as far as sightseeing goes. If you are more interested in travelling alone, I understand and wish you an exciting time in Switzerland. Maybe we’ll meet there anyway. Wouldn’t that be something? Cheers and happy travels.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 February 2019 at 20:45:31 #901492

Hi Cathy60 –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

For a lot of good reasons, we ask people to start a new thread when they first post.

From the Forum Rules:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

<<“You can either create a new thread or add a post to an existing thread. In most cases, creating a new thread is best if you want to ask a question. Post to an existing thread if you can answer a question posted there, or if your question is very close related to the discussion.”>>

It makes it a lot easier to find in the future, especially if you are adding to a very long thread.

And,

<<“Your posts can be read by everyone, so do not post private data of yourself or others. (e.g. e-mail addresses and phone numbers);”>>

However, the Forum does not make it easy to respond to a particular person, as do some forums, so I guess that the only way to set up a conversation is what you have done. Perhaps the moderators have a suggestion…..

<<” I have found decent accommodations there are so high for a single person and so much cheaper for 2 people sharing.”>>

Many but not all Swiss accommodations charge by the person, not by the room. In part, this is because room costs usually include breakfast, and, many inns have a variety of facilities that might be used by a guest.

Hostels in Switzerland are very clean, generally quite nice, and constantly get good reviews. They are not just for “Youth.”

You might check this link, as well as the listings under the name of a specific town in that section of the forum:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac commodation

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2019 at 21:45:03 #901493

Hi Cathy60

Good to know that you too are fulfilling your dreams. I’m a very independent person and irrespective of my fears of travelling alone, I love my own company and with all my due respect to you, I would like to travel on my own. I don’t like sharing accommodations, had to live in dormitories for 17 years whilst completing my education and sacrificed every bit of myself when I was married for 21 years but now I don’t mind splurging on myself. I deserve the very best for what I have experienced. I try my level best now to throw myself out of my comfort zone all the time so that I am able to befriend all my fears. It’s tough but worth it.

I wish you all the very best for your travels. Take care and stay blessed!

Monica

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 February 2019 at 11:22:25 #901494

Hi Cathy –

There are some good suggestions for inexpensive lodging in this excellent trip report:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/a-perfect-first-trip-in-early-october

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2019 at 19:15:16 #901495

Thank you for responding to my email and I thoroughly understand. I can almost share the same story. Hope you really enjoy your travels and stay safe and blessed. Cathy60

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 April 2019 at 7:42:23 #901496

Hi Monica,

I re-opened this thread on your request so you can post again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2019 at 4:36:45 #901497

Hi Slowpoke

Hope you’re good. It’s been pretty busy for me both professionally and also at the personal front. Dad wasn’t keeping too well so went to visit him in India for about 10 days. It’s hard to witness parents’ frailty and our helplessness to be with them in their hour of need.

I was going through our notes and felt I’ll need your guidance to plan my days in Wengen. I will arrive in Zurich on the afternoon of 8th Sept and would reach Hotel Bellevue in Wengen late in the evening. I’ll need to plan for 9th and 10th Sept.

Keeping in view the jetlag, I don’t know how much hiking I’d be up for on the 9th Sept. You had recommended the Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg trek in one of your posts. I could walk from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg and if I’m too tired as Kim mentioned in her document, I could “chicken out” and take the gondola to Mannlichen.

Would you recommend that I trek from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg and then perhaps to Murren on the 10th or would you recommend something else?

Look forward to your suggestions.

Kind Regards

Monica

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 April 2019 at 23:04:36 #901498

Hi Monica-

I and my family have watched our elders decline. It is harder when you are thousands of miles away, than for us, when our families here were/are a few hours apart, but it is always hard.

And, if they find the cultural changes occurring in India, and the issues arrising in Modi’s campaign, to be meaningful for them, it is even harder to be away from them.

Without time at the moment for a thoughtful answer, I’ll simply say that …with your constraints… I’d definitely take the cableway to Männlichen and walk to KS on your first day.

At KS, you can assess your energy level and make choices.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2019 at 0:29:33 #901499

Hi Slowpoke

Thank you for your kind words, it’s always hard to see our parents and loved ones deteriorate. It’s a reminder at the same time to take full responsibility of our own life and to step up on the plate of maturity.

Would love to hear from you when you have more time. Thanks for your suggestion about KS.

Monica

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2019 at 0:34:26 #901500

Hi Arno

I’m sorry I thought I’d thanked you for reopening my thread, my bad!

Thank you so much, appreciate your endeavour.

Monica

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 June 2019 at 4:05:20 #901501

Hi everyone,

This thread is open again as more information will follow.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 June 2019 at 16:50:04 #901502

Hi Monica-

I just got back from a couple of weeks in Switzerland, and stayed at the two inns we have discussed for your trip.

I am posting my quite favorable comments in the accommodations section of the Forum, where they will be more obvious for future users. I’ll first do the one in the Emmental – Bären Ranflüh, and then the Engel in Sachseln in a second later post in Accommodations.

I was quite pleased with both of them. However, the Bären in Ranflüh was a wonderful and special surprise.

I’ll note that room #9, in the front on the street side, where I stayed, has those nice views across the valley and across the street and is worth asking for.

Also, in a previous post, I cautioned about not missing the last bus to Ranflüh at 1846, if you visited Trub and returned via Trubschachen. I fact, there is train service fom Trubschchen to Zollbruck, about 1 km from Ranflüh, at 1914 and 2014, via change at Langnau, taking about 30 minutes to Zollbruck. The walk , from Zollbruck station, although uphill by about 10 meters or so, is only slightly more than 1 km.

If you have to or wish to resort too that, and are not too tired after a long day, that is another option for you. Even with light baggage, it would be fairly easy. It does ofer a safety factor if you miss the 1846 bus

Here is the first link, about the Bären Ranflüh.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/a-particularly-nice-small-inn-in-the-emmental

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 June 2019 at 22:51:08 #901503

Hi Monica-

I’m working on another post about the other inn we discussed….Gasthof Engel, in Sachseln.

I’ll post it in accommodations.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2019 at 0:15:23 #901504

Hi Slowpoke

It was lovely to hear from you and I was really touched that you thought of getting back to me about the inns. Past six months have been so exhausting and I’m hanging by the thread for two more days before we have a 2-week break from school here. Your post brings back the excitement that awaits in September! I’ll be revisiting your plans in the next two weeks, during my break, to work on the minute details of the trip. I’m so grateful to each one of you on the forum, and especially to you, for all the guidance for this trip.

Monica

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 June 2019 at 0:23:06 #901505

Glad to hear that you are keeping busy.

I was relieved to find the “escape hatch” that I described via train to Zollbruck, because your Emmental excursion will rely on careful timing and heavy use of the buses to do all that you want and yet not end the day with no way to get to your inn.

You will love the inn in Ranflüh. You will appreciate the inn in Sachseln.

Slowpoke

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • The thread ‘Travelling to the Swiss Alps in Sept 2019’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.