Best Swiss rail pass for 6 day trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 16:01:43 #816329

Hello,

We will be travelling to Geneva from Manchester on the 10th July 2018 as a group of 6 adults (two over 60) and 3 children ( ages 12, 7 and 1 at the time of travel).

We are wanting to go to Interlaken on the same day as we have a hotel booked for two nights and thought we could do day trips to the surrounding mountains over that time. On the 13th we will head back to Geneva and spend two nights there and then return to Manchester on the 15th.

We are basically confused as to what kind of rail travel we book. If we get the flexible 4 day travel pass which isn’t valid on consecutive days, it will not include one airport journey and the cost will still be quite high at £1374 for 6 of us, as kids are free. I dont know if that is the best and most cost effective way to travel or whether we should buy individual tickets or half fare cards.

Please help and advice!

kind regards

Smriti

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 20:24:42 #886848

Hi Smriti,

The only way to know which pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

If you are here for 6 days (10 – 15) then I would look at the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass, but doing the math is the only way to know for sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 11:09:55 #886849

Dear Lucas,

I have tried to work out all our travel (mostly apart from a boat ride in Geneva) which i am not sure where to book from and whether there are any discounts on that?

We are going from Geneva airport to interlaken by train on the 10th, then the next day we would like to visit junfraujoch and back (is this included?) , the day after on the 12th we will probably take a day trip to Murren, on the 13th we head back to geneva and on the 14th we will take a boat ride there. Do you think there will be enough time to visit the lindt factory on the 14th? How far is it? I have not accounted for this in the costs as i am not sure it is achievable. I have also not included any children in the costs.

I have worked out that for 6 adults the cost (not including the boat ride- but including junfrau) is GBP 1970 full price. However if we get a half fare pass the cost is GBP 1518 and the cost if we get a flexible 4 day travel card is £1374. So i am torn as the equation lies with jungfrau and how much we save by going for a half fare or a flexible 4 day pass. I am not sure if it is worth getting the 8 day pass as the day we travel to murren we could just buy tickets right, as they are cheap?

please let me know your thoughts? Any advice /recommendations?

kind regards

Smriti

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 May 2018 at 13:52:44 #886850

Hi Smriti,

A day trip to Mürren would be the perfect opportunity to go to the top of the Schilthorn. Which is free with a Swiss Travel Pass. To find out what’s included in the pass please click Lucas’s Swiss Travel Pass link, and click the “Where it’s valid” tab. All details plus a map can be found there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 14:03:14 #886851

Hi Smriti,

The Lindt chocolate factory is near Zurich. Perhaps you are looking for the Cailler chocolate factory near Montreux (in Broc)?

Jungfraujoch pricing can be found here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfraujoch/tic kets
    You need a ticket between Wengen or Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch and back to Wengen or Grindelwald. Regularly that is 207chf, less a 25% discount for Swiss Travel Pass holders.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 10:34:26 #886852

Thank you Lucas and Arno

I actually meant the lindt factory but i think it might be too far for a day trip. I am leaning towards a half fare pass rather than an 8 day pass (as we are only there for 6 days). The other option is the flexible 4 day pass but that would mean buying tickets on one day plus the last day (which is cheap because its only to the aiport in the morning from geneva city). Any recommendations again?

kind regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 16:07:24 #886853

The Lindt chocolate factory is near Zurich. That’s why I thought you meant the Cailler chocolate factory which is closer to Geneva.

I’d lean to the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass see my post at May 30, 2018 – 8:24 PM

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 18:40:52 #886854

Thank you Lucus Would this pass also cover a leisure boat Ride in Geneva or would there be a separate charge for that?

Thank you Arno, Would you recommend going to jungfrau and schilthorn both and would the entire trip to schilthorn be covered?

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 19:25:04 #886855

You can see what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass on my first post.
    Click the Swiss Travel Pass link and then click on “where it’s valid”. Both Lake Geneva and Schilthorn are fully covered.

I’d personally only go to one – Schilthorn is defiantly the economical choice.

• The thread ‘Best Swiss rail pass for 6 day trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.