Traveling with big luggage on Swiss trains

• Zairy
    Participant
    42 posts
    20 November 2019 at 0:22:41 #824495

Hi, I will be travelling to Interlaken this December with my kids from Paris. I heard that its a no for big luggage . Dont they have a big space for big luggage in the train.What would you advice? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 November 2019 at 0:58:29 #925326

Day in day out people travel on European long distance trains with all sorts of luggage – large and small. Don’t worry

Zairy
    Participant
    42 posts
    20 November 2019 at 1:17:20 #925327

Thank you 196oman. I saw the TGV Lyria has a big space for big luggage. So its fine for my journey from Basel to Interlaken with the domestic train.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 November 2019 at 1:25:52 #925328

Luggage storage options vary quite a bit depending on the type of train you are on. You just have to be adaptable and squeeze the luggage in where you can. You’ll be fine.

See http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage and http://www.seat61.com/luggage -on-european-trains.htm.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 November 2019 at 6:02:49 #925329

Hi Zairy,

the only thing you need to be aware of that you should be able to carry and lift your luggage, without help. (Maybe there will be somebody who offers you help, but probably not.) Also, the suitcases should not block the aisles and the entrances or occupy other passengers’ seats.

But no worries, usually there are enough spaces above the windows or between the seats or at the end of the railway carriage.

Further information that might be helpful too:

disantor
    Participant
    28 posts
    20 November 2019 at 6:34:58 #925330

Pack wisely. Less is more!

I agree with what others have said but would strongly encourage you to take the smallest luggage and/or fewest amount of clothing that you can. Large and/or heavy will wear on you depending on how much train travel you have on your trip. We went in summer and clothing is a lot lighter in that season. But, we packed carry-on size for 2 week trip (ebags motherlode weekend rolling duffle). This is perhaps impossible in winter with coats/boots, etc. When I trael in winter, I wear my boots to take up less space in my suitcase.

In any case — There isn’t always an escalator or elevator or ramp — and you have to lift the luggage a lot more than you might think. Pack wisely and safety travels.

• The thread ‘Traveling with big luggage on Swiss trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.