Tickets for children using Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2018 at 8:21:46 #817261

Hello MySwissAlps,

I’m planning to travel to Swiss in Aug. I will be traveling with my wife and my 12y.o daughter and 9y.o son. We have read about the Half Fare Card and plan to get it along with the Swiss Family Card.

The questions are:

1. When we try to purchase ticket from Basel SBB to Interlaken Ost on the SBB website, Do we have to add our children for tickets or they automatically will get free tickets with the Swiss Familiy Card? When we add our two children for tickets, they still have to pay eventhough I already add HFC on my purchase. Is it normal?

2. We are also planning to take super saver ticket from Basel SBB to Interlaken Ost/West. We are scheduled to land in Basel Airport at 9.50. Do we have enough time to finish from the immigration, etc to get on the 11.50 train from Basel SBB?We have all our luggages with us in the cabin, no baggage.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 July 2018 at 11:03:52 #891342

Hello Kukuh, welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Your children do not need tickets for your trips, no free tickets either. You will need two Swiss Half Fare Card and one Swiss Family Card. You can purchase those online and print them at home: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price.

You only need to buy discounted tickets for the adults. The domestic SBB website is geared to Swiss residents and does not offer tickets for Swiss Half Fare Card holders. Picking “Half-fare travelcard” instead should work (it’s a similar product for Swiss residents), or you can buy your tickets from other websites geared to tourists, or you can buy them on the spot from a ticket office or machine.

2. Super Saver Tickets do need to be purchase in advance as they are not available on the spot. Two hours should be enough as the bus ride from the airport to the train station only takes 20 minutes. But note that those tickets are not refundable. If your plane is late you’ll loose the money and need to buy new tickets: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/discounts.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2018 at 18:07:50 #891343

Thank you, Arno, for your comprehensive answer.

One more though, if we take the good morning to jungfraujoch with the earliest train available, is it enough for the kids to enjoy some snow activities, mainly, and other facilities until the time to return at 13.00?

Thank you Arno.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2018 at 8:14:28 #891344

Yes, I would think so. You have to be at Jungfraujoch by 9am at the latestet (depart Kleine Scheidegg by 08:30) so that gives you roughly 4 hours at the top. That means also getting a train from Interlaken at 0635 or 0705. Nice and early for the kids. 🙂

• The thread ‘Tickets for children using Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.