Visiting Rheinfall & Stein am Rhein & Schaffhausen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2017 at 15:06:16 #812910

My husband and I are travelling to Schaffhausen from Zurich and staying overnight so we can visit Rheinfalls and Stein am Rhein.

My question is what is the best way to drop off luggage, visit the falls; catch a train to Stein am Rhein for lunch and a walk around and get back to Schaffhausen to our accommodation.

My thoughts are to:

1) travel directly to Schaffhausen drop off luggage at either station or accommodation

2) catch a train to Schloss Laufen and do the Rheinfalls loop;

3) then a train to from Rheinfalls to Stein am Rhein;

4) then catch another train from Stein am Rhein to Schaffhausen;

5) collect luggage and spend the night in Schaffhausen

This seems a very inefficient way of doing things – any suggestions on how to do it better?

Is there any place to store luggage at the Rheinfalls?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 August 2017 at 21:03:15 #868148

Hi Aussiesteph-

Sounds very efficient to me. You defined what I believe is the best way to do it.

The only thing better is to leave your luggage at your hotel in Schafhausen. Or, if you go back through Zürich the next day, leave a lot at Zürich main station or airport. Both have generous facilities.

The SBB web site can tell you about luggage options at any station, bit there is not much along your route at the smaller stations. And, their luggage offices close early. We checked it out a week or two ago for someone else.

The website is still undergoing improvement from its “upgrade” for smartphones, and the method to find that information that worked for me yesterday does not work today.

You have to go station by station, and at many, you can scroll down to “Equipment” (Lockers) and Services (Luggage Offices).

It did not work for me at Schaffhausen, but on their home page, the icon for lost luggage (includes an umbrella with a tag on it) gives the opening hours for the luggage office, since they are the same place.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/meta/sho p-detail.html/lost-property-service-900-3424

It is also here:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/meta/sho p-detail.html/baggage-500-3424

I can’t find the lockers, but I know they are there.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2017 at 4:07:33 #868149

We left our luggage at Schaffhausen in the luggage lockers last.month and that worked great for visiting the falls without luggage. Also if you have time to take the boat for any of the section between Stein am Rhein and Schaffhausen it would be a lovely way to go.

• The thread ‘Visiting Rheinfall & Stein am Rhein & Schaffhausen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.