Travel by train from Lauterbrunnen on July 17

• charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    24 April 2018 at 22:01:11 #815514

Which train would be the best option at that time?

GoldenPass schedule looks like it stops alot? We would travel from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken Ost to Zweisimmen and then Zweisimmen to Montreaux (all construction should be done by then correct)?

Or take the train from Interlaken Ost to Spiez/VISP etc or is there another option?

We will have arrived Lauterbrauunen from Zermatt so the second option we would have seen the countryside already…

Travelling on a Swiss Travel Pass…

Where do I findinformation on the Chocolate and Cheese? Train des Vignes (vineyard train) which rolls through the vineyards? And the Lavaua vineyards train?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 April 2018 at 22:19:00 #883173

Take the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) to Montreux. If you look at the timetable for Interlaken to Montreux but leave out via Montreux it will show you the fastest but less scenic route. The current construction work on the Golden Pass line wis scheduled for completion 1 June.

Have you tried searching this site or googling the other trips you are interested in? eg googling “train des vignes” gets you to http://www.region-du-leman.ch/en/P629/train -des-vignes-train-ride-vevey-puidoux.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 3:30:02 #883174

I’d go with the Golden Pass too. The route from Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen is different scenery than you’ll see on the Golden Pass. What is your end destination that day?

Are you taking a direct train routing through the tunnel from Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen? Use the timetable and put in VIA Kandersteg to take the scenic route. 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 April 2018 at 3:38:55 #883175

I meant via Zweisimmen not via Montreux. Doh!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 5:21:49 #883176

>> Travel by train … July 17 … GoldenPass schedule looks like it stops alot? We would travel from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken Ost to Zweisimmen and then Zweisimmen to Montreaux

Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken Ost is not part of the Golden Pass route.

You would join the Golden Pass route at Interlaken Ost, and change to the panoramic train at Zweisimmen. It’s an easy, straightforward change at a very small station, and there are no stairs to negotiate.

The same train cannot at present run all the way between Interlaken Ost and Montreux because the gauge of the railway track changes at Zweisimmen.

Reservations are not compulsory, but definitely recommended for the sector Zweisimmen to Montreux in July, which will be very busy. You can make reservations up to 90 days in advance of your travel date on the following site:

reservations.mob.ch/re servation/reservation/ reservation/reservatio n/reservation/reservat ion/reservation/reserv ation/reservation/rese rvation/f?p=151:1:34171267358959 96::NO:::

>> all construction should be done by then correct?

Yes, but they always get you in the end 😉

Read below about the Train des Vignes!

>> Or take the train from Interlaken Ost to Spiez/VISP etc or is there another option?

This route goes through the Lötschberg-Basistunnel. You will travel through the tunnel for about 35 km, missing the mountain scenery.

To avoid this long tunnel, and enjoy the beautiful scenery, you need to plan a route via Kandersteg.

>> We will have arrived Lauterbrauunen from Zermatt so the second option we would have seen the countryside already…

What route are you taking from Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen?

>> Where do I findinformation on the Chocolate and Cheese?

I suppose you mean the trains.

The Cheese Train is a winter thing. It runs between January and March, so it won’t be an option in July.

The Chocolate Train is sold as an excursion package, including return first-class train travel, transfers by bus from Gruyères station to the village; and then on to the chocolate factory in Broc after a break of 2.5 hours. Coffee and a chocolate croissant is also provided. It runs daily in July.

http://www.goldenpass.ch/en/g oldenpass/offer/view?id=15

As an alternative, you can take normal trains along the same route, but would use the train for the transfer between Gruyères and Broc instead of the bus. The stop for the cheese factory is Gruyères gare, and the stop for the chocolate factory is Broc-Fabrique. They are both on the same train line. You can use the Swiss Timetable to plan your trip:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

(Use the timetable on the right with the red SBB logo)

>> Train des Vignes (vineyard train) which rolls through the vineyards? And the Lavaua vineyards train?

This train is affected by construction works for the period 7 July to 26 August 2018, and won’t be running. A bus replacement service will operate, calling in at all the same stations at which the train normally stops.

I think the scenery will be equally beautiful viewed from the bus, so I would still be inclined to do this trip by bus. It is very short – less than half-an-hour.

The Train des Vignes runs from Vevey to Puidoux-Chexbres. You can continue from Puidoux-Chexbres to Lausanne along an equally beautiful route (about 15 minutes). Bus replacement services are also running on this route for the same period, due to construction works.

If you are interested in seeing photos of these trips, you can see them attached to my post of May 19, 2017 – 4:32 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/1-day-lausanne-and-vevey

Alpenrose

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    25 April 2018 at 11:40:09 #883177

Thank you for all your information. I used your link for reservations for the Golden Express and it shows when the train departs starting at Interlaken Ost and stops; it appears it makes 10 different stops before it gets to Zweisimmen. Is that correct? Are reservations advised for this portion of the trip? Is this the Panoramic train at this point? Or should I take a faster train for this portion(Interlaken Ost to Zweisimmen) and connect with the Panoramic train at Zweisimmen and reserve for this Zweisimmen to Montreaux only. I wasn’t sure as it shows train pictures with a #1 or #2 in front of the train and free seats so I assume that means first and second calls and seats that are available for booking. Our earlier plans for that day are to visit Schilthorn in the morning from Lauterbrunnen and to get from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken Ost to catch the 13:08 train departure from Interlaken Ost…This is a second questions but do you feel that is possible to do that in morning and still catch the train at 13:08 or again a faster train for this first portion of the route.

Our plans are still open upon leaving Lauterbrunnen to head to Montreaux, Vevey or Lausanne to see the vineyard area so we haven’t decided on what city to stay for best exploration of wine country in this area. We have all day of the 18th to explore and part of the l9th before heading to Geneva. We fly out early morning on 20th from Geneva airport. Your opinion on what city/where to stay in vineyard area would be appreciated knowing we only have train transport option.

See all the train stop times noted below – does it stop at all these places.

Detailed information of train

Train no. Place of departure Place of arrival Departure Arrival

4073 Interlaken Ost Zweisimmen 13:08 14:19

Total reservable places reserved free

62 2 60

Routes timetable

Place of departure dep. Place of arrival arr.

Interlaken Ost 13:08 Interlaken West 13:10

Interlaken West 13:11 Därligen 13:17

Därligen 13:18 Leissigen 13:22

Leissigen 13:23 Spiez 13:32

Spiez 13:37 Wimmis 13:41

Wimmis 13:42 Oey-Diemtigen 13:47

Oey-Diemtigen 13:47 Erlenbach im Simmental 13:51

Erlenbach im Simmental 13:52 Därstetten 13:57

Därstetten 13:58 Boltigen 14:08

Boltigen 14:10 Zweisimmen 14:19

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 2:28:56 #883178

Hi Charwinelove,

Yes, the train stops at those places but quite briefly (1 minute or so often). You may be able to find a faster train between Interlaken Ost and Zweisimmen but I wouldn’t think it would be much different for overall time. The timetable will give you the fastest options by default.

The panoramic train is only between Zweisimmen and Montreux and you would only need to think about reserving that section only. I’d stay in Montreux to visit the surrounding areas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 8:30:42 #883179

>> See all the train stop times noted below – does it stop at all these places.

Yes. The trains on this route are regional trains, providing transport services to people living in the towns and villages along the way, so that is why they stop there. Trains on the Golden Pass route are not principally targeted to tourists in the way that the Glacier Express and Bernina Express are; and fast, limited-stop services such as the InterCity trains do not run on this route. When you see the terrain, you will understand why.

The fastest routes for getting around in Switzerland (generally speaking) are fast because they travel through the flatter parts of the country and/or take tunnels under the mountains.

If you are concerned about the travel time and number of stops on the Golden Pass route, you have the option of getting from Interlaken to Lausanne on InterCity trains via Bern with only 5 stops, followed by a regional train to Montreux with only one stop.

However, you will miss out on so much by choosing the fast route over the longer, more scenic one. Scenic routes tackle the mountains and transport you through stunning scenery instead of zooming underneath it in a tunnel or detouring through the flatter parts of the country to avoid the mountains.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Travel by train from Lauterbrunnen on July 17’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.