Treno Gottardo vs Gotthard Panorama Express

• Lucyturc
    Participant
    17 posts
    9 May 2023 at 14:06:11 #829805

Please i need your help because i confused myself. Is Trenno Gottardo is the same as Gotthard Scenic Train?

I m trying to find alternative cheaper option to do Gotthard route toward to Lugano. I m staying near Brunnen station and found tickets Brunnen-Bellinzone train IR 26 or IR 46 Trenno Gottarto for CHF$20.50. is it the same Scenic Train and i will need to pay additional CHF 90 or not? Or what alternative i can take from Brunnen to Lugano with no compromising beautiful scenic views of Gotthard route? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    9 May 2023 at 14:26:23 #954265

Hi Lucyturc,

Treno Gottardo and the Gotthard Panorama Express are 2 different trains but both traverse along the same Gotthard historic and scenic route.

You can find information about the Gotthard Panorama Express here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gotthardpanoramaexpress. Scroll down to the section “Regular trains and boats versus the official Gotthard Panorama Express” to read the differences about the trains.

Regards,

Anna

Lucyturc
    Participant
    17 posts
    9 May 2023 at 15:11:02 #954266

Thank you so much, you are awesome!

Lucyturc
    Participant
    17 posts
    9 May 2023 at 16:40:29 #954267

Dear Anna! I really appreciate your help, is it too much to ask your help again. On SBB website I tried to check for supersaver ticket Brunnen Banhoff to Bellinzone Sat, May 27, but the programm changing results for May 25. Do you know Is it glitch or it means no Supersaver tickets on Saturday at all, and I just have to go ahead and purchase tickets with a full price? Thanks you again.

Anna
    6382 posts
    9 May 2023 at 18:34:09 #954268

Hi Lucyturc,

I did a quick check on the SBB app and there seems to be no Supersaver tickets available from Brunnen to Bellinzona on Sat 27 May.

Supersaver tickets are available up to 60 days in advance and based on demand: https://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland. I’m guessing they’re sold out or just not available for this route.

Regards,

Anna

Lucyturc
    Participant
    17 posts
    9 May 2023 at 21:06:08 #954269

Thank you. I thought i m doing something wrong.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2023 at 22:38:47 #954270

Treno Gottardo is the train that takes the old Gotthard mountain route. It runs every hour throughout the day from Brunnen to Locarno (change in Bellinzona for Lugano)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2023 at 22:40:08 #954271

Supersaver fares are a ‘bargain’ offer but are only available if the system says so! If not you have to buy another sort of ticket.

Yolanda
    2352 posts
    10 May 2023 at 3:49:37 #954272

Hello Lucyturc,

In case you wanted to read about Supersaver tickets, you can do so here: https://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland

Also, just so you know, Supersaver tickets are date and time specific. So you can only travel on the particular date and time you bought your ticket for. If you miss your train, you would need to buy another ticket.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Lucyturc
    Participant
    17 posts
    10 May 2023 at 6:48:44 #954273

Thank you!

Lucyturc
    Participant
    17 posts
    10 May 2023 at 6:55:59 #954274

Yes, thank you, i figured it out. They have supersaver tickets for this train in other days, but it seems like Friday and Saturday are busy enough without discount. Saver Day ticket is more expensive as well, makes more sense to purchase point-to-point tickets all day Saturday.

Yolanda
    2352 posts
    10 May 2023 at 11:49:14 #954275

Hi again lucyturc,

Have you considered, perhaps a rail pass for your trip here at all? Depending how long you are here for, it could work out to be cost effective if you are going to be using the train a lot? There is currently a promotion for the Swiss Travel Pass, it’s about to end in a few days. More information here:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Lucyturc
    Participant
    17 posts
    10 May 2023 at 20:29:08 #954276

Thank you Yolanda for your reply. I purchased already Saver Day ticket for Day 1, I will travel another only 2 days, and purchasing Swiss pass for 3 days doesn’t cost effective for so short time, unfortunately.

• The thread ‘Treno Gottardo vs Gotthard Panorama Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.