1 week in Bernese Oberland- best rail pass & town?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 22:37:06 #816338

Spending 7 nights in the central Switzerland/alps area in mid June. Have a good amount of the schedule worked out but have 2 remaining big questions I’m seeking advice on:

1) Already have 2 nights in Luzern booked followed by 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen Valley with my final night being back in Zurich for ease to get to the airport before leaving. That leaves me with 2 nights open between Lauterbrunnen and Zurich. My goal is to take in all the scenery in the Bernese Oberland with hikes, photos, etc….does it make sense to stay another 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen or choose a different mountain town? I’ve heard it was the easiest because it’s on the valley floor and a good starting point to get up either side of mountain towns.

2) Will have a rental car which both my hotels in Luzern and Lauterbrunnen allow parking for but was also looking for a travel pass to supplement. What would be the most economical pass to navigate mountain towns, gondolas, lifts, etc? Half fare card? Bernese Oberland Pass? etc. I realize I will be parking and leaving the car but i basically have the car for free with travel pts.

Any additional recommendations or ideas of things to do in the area or how to plan our time in Bernese Oberland are would certainly be appreciated. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 7:12:05 #886888

Hi Foxglen17 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

To know which pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page below on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

I would look at either the Swiss Half Fare Card or the Jungfrau Travel Pass once you are in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. If you are planning mountain trips around Lucerne then the Swiss Half fare Card is probably the best choice.

I’d stay around Lauterbrunnen for the next two days. If you are already booked in Lauterbrunnen then I’d stay there to avoid the pain of moving hotels. But if you want a change of scenery (same area but above the valley take a look at Wengen or Mürren. Or if you prefer to get a total change of scenery look outside the mountains at Thun.

For ideas on things to do around Lucerne look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/lucerne/activiti es
    & in the Jungfrau region look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities

• The thread ‘1 week in Bernese Oberland- best rail pass & town?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.