April ski trip from Chur to St. Moritz & Davos

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2017 at 18:42:11 #813368

Hello Myswitzerland,

My girlfriend and i want to make a trip to Switzerland. When i was young i made a trip to Switzerland, and i always wanted to go back one time.

We live in the Netherlands. We want to make a trip with the train through Switzerland in late April.

Travelling to Switzerland from the Netherlands we want to do by car, this is the easiest way i think.

We want to ski also, so we have to carry some luggage at our trip. That is my first question:

– Is it possible to make a trip by train through Switzerland if you have many luggage (like ski’s, snowboard, suitcases with clothes)?

We want to visit at least 2 places in Switzerland, and we want to travel by train, so we have to travel in a big circle. I thought it would by nice to start in Chur, there we park our car.

Then by train, i think it’s the route Bernina express, to Sankt Moritz. There we want to make a stop and rest overnight. Maybe also do some skiing. My second question:

– Do i need to reserve a place in the train on the track Chur – St. Moritz?

The second part of our journey will be from St. Moritz to Davos-Kloster. There we want to do some skiing and rest over night.

The last part of our journey will be from Davos back to our car in Chur. My third question is:

What is a nice route from Davos to Chur? Do i need to have a Graubunden pass?

Is it possible to travel this route with all our wintersport luggage?

Sincerely thanks for answering these questions.

Greets

Remy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2017 at 7:27:56 #870262

Hi Remy and welcome to MySwissAlps!

My first thought is April might be a bit late for skiing – I believe the ski season ends in early April there. Have a look at the Davos website here and the St. Moritz website here for more details.

Yes, you can carry luggage like suitcases and ski equipment on the trains. You can also send luggage ahead – check out our luggage page here for more details.

For details and route information on the Bernina Express click here and to plan your trips on the trains use the Swiss railways timetable here. If you take the panoramic Bernina Express train reservations are mandatory – if you use regional trains (same route) you don’t need to make reservations.

You can either buy point to point tickets for your trip or look at the Graubünden Pass.

If you travel to St. Moritz by train from Davos then you can continue the circle via Landquart to get back to Chur.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 September 2017 at 8:03:56 #870263

Hi Remy-

I don’t travel to the Alps to ski, but I do travel to hike or sight see in the high Alps. Because I am familiar with some of the regions, I use a particular technique to get more information on the cableways. It shows the timing but also how the cableways fit in the landscape and geography.

You may have picked a time when many skiing facilities are shut down.

When planning a trip in Spring or Fall, I use the SBB timetable linked by Lucas for a quick way to check to see if the main cableways and alpine scenic railways in the region of interest are running. Typically they stop running sometime in April or May and start up again for the hiking season in mid-June. This way to check is quick for me for checking a few individual transport facilities in familiar regions, but tedious if you do it for many different stations. It works best if you know the names of the stations, which you can get from the map I have linked below. And, it is useful to understand what times of day the specific facilities shut down for the night

This map shows cableways and mountain transport if you turn on the proper choices in the menus under traffic and zoom in:

map.search.ch/?pos=788372,154866&z=12 8&poi=bergbahn,haltest elle,viasuisse,zug

I have done so for the region near St. Moritz and Pontresina.

If you click on the icons for the stations, you get a brief timetable for near time transport to/from that station/stop, and you also get the name of the station for use in the SBB timetable when you mouse over the icon.

There are also specific web sites for the various Alpine regions, with a wide range of information including details of transportation, but I don’t know the ones for the regions you are interested in. Lucas gave you a couple of links that should be helpful.

Slowpoke

PS –

I just noted this thread:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/possible-itinerary-may-13th-2018

Alpenrose has provided quite a bit of detail on alpine transport, mainly in the Jungfrau Region, but is is valuable for showing the typical availability patterns in the Spring. It gives a good perspective on the typical issue for that time of year.

There is also a specific comment on St. Moritz.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2017 at 9:59:10 #870264

Hello,

These tips are very welcome.

Indeed, i saw on the website of Davos, the closing of winterperiode of the slopes is half of april.

I think i switch the trip to Zermatt, there are some slopes at the glacier.

Do you know how to make a circle from Chur – St. Moritz – Zermatt – Chur?

Thank you so much!!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2017 at 8:10:31 #870265

An alternative route between Chur and Zermatt would be to train to Bellinzona (via Visp and Domodossola) and then bus from Bellinzona to Chur – but it is a fair bit out of the way .

Use the timetable to see the various options between towns.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2017 at 20:21:07 #870266

Hello My swiss alps,

Very thank you for these tips.

I was talking with my girlfriend over the trip Chur – Zermatt. I saw on the timetable

that it would be a long trip, over about 9 hours. We don’t want to take it so long.

I also write a few ski resorts a email with the question of they’re open in the period

we want to go there. In st. Moritz there are some of the slopes open untill de beginning

of May. st. Moritz should be a very nice place, so we want to go there.

I think we take the bernina express for the part Chur – St. Moritz.

I saw that the slopes of Livigno (Italy) are also open. So we want to go there also.

Do you know how to travel these two countries (Switzerland – Italy)? Is there a

way to find out?

Then we want to travel back to Chur. Do you know a train or a nice route?

Very thank you

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 October 2017 at 20:57:07 #870267

Hello remydude,

The timetable http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable will show you how to get to Livigno. There is a bus from Pontresina which takes just under an hour to get to Livigno. Whether the bus runs all year round I can’t say for sure but the 2018 timetables will be released before the end of October and you can check then.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2017 at 8:45:15 #870268

>> I saw that the slopes of Livigno (Italy) are also open. So we want to go there also. Do you know how to travel these two countries (Switzerland – Italy)? Is there a way to find out?

The bus Pontresina–Bernina Diavolezza–Livigno that rockoyster wasn’t quite sure about unfortunately only runs from Jun to Oct: in 2017 it was 10 Jun–22 Oct.

There is another bus from Zernez: Bus 815 (Zernez–Livigno), which runs all year – 6 times day at the time of year you would be there.

>> Then we want to travel back to Chur. Do you know a train or a nice route?

There’s not really any straightforward alternative way back to Switzerland from Livigno at that time of year as far as I can tell.

There is a bus link between Livigno and Bormio, run by an Italian bus company. However, the bus from Bormio north to Switzerland, Bus 821 (Bormio–Stelvio–Sta. Maria Val Müstair) only runs between Jul and Oct: 1 Jul–8 Oct in 2017.

I understand you can go south from Bormio all year, but haven’t looked into that option in any detail. If you wanted to pursue the idea further, you could try these websites, but will need to wrestle with Italian 🙂

http://www.bormio.info/scopri re_bormio/come-arrivare-a-bormio/

http://www.busperego.com/line e-ordinarie.php

Only the lines shown on the Swiss Travel Pass validity map would be covered by a Swiss Travel Pass, i.e. not the bus trip from Livigno to Bormio, or south from Bormio on Italian bus services (see attached map).

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘April ski trip from Chur to St. Moritz & Davos’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.