Trip from Lucerne to Mt.Pilatus to Zurich airport?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2017 at 10:10:39 #813489

Hi All,

I have been reading the posts and trip reports in this forum. I made my plans for this weekend and 16 and 17. Lucerne is our basecamp.

Travelling group : 4 adults ( 2 early 30s and 2 late 60s) and 15 month old.

Following is the plan

Oct 14: Arrive at Zurich airport at 10 AM. Visit Rhine falls, roam in Zurich city centre , Meet a friend and tranfer to Lucerne .

Oct 15: Get fast train to Zweisimmen, then Zweisimmen – Montreux on golden pass route. Roam a bit in Montreux and go back to Lucerne via Lausanne (short stop)

Oct 16: Visit Mt Rigi and stroll old/new town of Lucerne

Oct 17: << Not decided>>

My return flight is at 7:40 PM , Will it be possible to do Mt Pilatus ? Come back to town by 4 PM and proceed to Airport.

Also, do you know if COOP restaurants are open on Sundays ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2017 at 10:43:58 #870858

Hi Jkcool and welcome to MySwissAlps!

So your flight is on the 17th? And you are in Lucerne for all your nights?

Yes you could travel from Lucerne to Mt. Pilatus and get a train from Lucerne to Zurich airport by 4pm. The trip would take about 2.5 to 3 hours depending on connections from the mountain top.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan the trip from Lucerne to Mt. Pilatus and then from Pilatus to Zurich airport. I would expect the average duration of stay at the top would be 2-3 hours.

It all depends on how early you want to get up that morning. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2017 at 10:55:38 #870859

Thank you Lucas.

Yes, my flight is on 17th and I am in Lucerne all nights. I will plan using the Swiss railways timetable. Again, I am doing Mt Rigi the other day, if people are not interested in it then I might change plans. Any other things that I could do on that day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2017 at 15:57:45 #870860

Yes, there is a lot to do in the Lucerne area I think. Most involve mountain visits:) but the town itself is worth exploring and there is very popular lake cruise as well.

We have a list of options on our Lucerne page here.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 October 2017 at 22:21:59 #870861

Hi jkool,

By “fast train to Zweisimmen” do you mean via Bern? The route via Meiringen an Interlaken only takes 1 hour more and is the better scenic option. Also note the construction work between Wimmis and Zweisimmen which means you will be diverted onto a bus. The SBB timetable makes this clear.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2017 at 23:04:12 #870862

Yes, it is via Bern. I did check connections to Zweisimmen on Sunday starting at 8AM. The attached is the one I got. It does not show any bus transfers.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 October 2017 at 0:21:43 #870863

My mistake. Looks like bus detour only on weekdays not weekend.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 October 2017 at 3:12:01 #870864

You just missed the construction work. Starts 22:00 15 October. http://www.myswissalps.com/do cs/systemlibrariesprov ider/rail/cancellation -notice.png?sfvrsn=0

• The thread ‘Trip from Lucerne to Mt.Pilatus to Zurich airport?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.