Trip planning for 14 day Swiss tour late March

• JudyWong
    Participant
    24 posts
    25 July 2017 at 8:14:41 #812733

We had proceeded with our holiday as planned and we had an awesome time and were overwhelmed with the many picturesque sights of Switzerland. I must say this forum helped ease all our planning, arrangements and bookings, Thanks alot to the great moderator and experts namely Alpenrose666, Lucas and Arno. Must appreciated.

That has lead to some friends keen to visit Switzerland and I am lending them a helping hands to jump start their planning…as below.

My friends, a group of 5 planing a 14-day tour around Switzerland with Swiss Rail as their main means of transportation, with stop over stay in some of the places of interest (as indicated below). They planned to arrive in Zurich by end of March 2018 and will also departs from Zurich.

Places of interest include Lucerne, Interlaken, Grindlewald, Jungfrau, Lauterbrunnen, Zermatt, and such other interesting places and not forgetting the panoramic rail either the Glacier Express or Bernina Express (depending which covers more of the Unesco Heritage Sites and suits their schedule).

Would appreciate advice on their rail route, to start from Zurich and ends at Zurich too and also advice which of the Swiss Travel Passe(fixed or flexi) or the Half Fare Cards are better deal for them? Thanking you in advance. Cheers!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2017 at 14:38:31 #867350

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the nice compliments – I’m glad you enjoyed your trip here!

We don’t however, create itineraries here. I agree with you that those towns Lucerne, Interlaken, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen and Zermatt are good options to try and visit!

How long they stay in each towns depends on what they find in each town to see and do. Click the links above to read more about the options (and of course give them your new-found knowledge!). 🙂

Over 14 days they should perhaps stay in 3 base towns: I might recommend Luzern, Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald or Wengen and Zermatt and Zurich on their way in and out of the country.

One routing that could make sense is Zurich – Luzern – Lauterbrunnen area – Zermatt and return to Zurich via Chur on the Glacier Express.

Please note late March and early April isn’t always the best time to visit Switzerland – the mountains are still mostly in Ski season until mid-April – so any hiking is pretty much out for example. The weather can be hit and miss as well.

They should first plan their itinerary before trying to decide on a rail pass – it will depend on where they go and what transport they use (and where) for them to know the best rail pass. Be sure they have a look at our web page on how to choose the best rail pass as well.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Trip planning for 14 day Swiss tour late March’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.