Trip report June 11 – June 18 continued – Part 3

• Travelbug53
    Participant
    64 posts
    22 June 2016 at 11:30:08 #809503

June 16

This was the only day that it rained continuously. We decided to take the funicular up to Sunnegga and walk down to Zermatt. Literally walking through the clouds, past little villages, and through pristine forests was very beautiful. The rain didn’t matter a bit!

June 17

We took the cogwheel train to Gornergrat early because the weather forecast said it would be sunny in he morning. I thought we wouldn’t be able to see anything because we were completely in the clouds as we ascended. However, we broke through the clouds after we passed Rotenboden and had bright blue skies and magnificent 360 degree views of the Matterhorn and the surrounding mountains. We walked up to the highest observation deck. It was very slippery, but they had a rope you could hang on to. The beauty of the mountains from Gornergrat is indescribable! On the way back, we stopped at Rotenboden and walked to Riffelsee. The ground was snow-covered but we saw other people walking down so we decided to try it. The snow was 2 feet in some places but we had water-proof hiking shoes and pants. The lake was so peaceful with the reflections of the surrounding mountains. I am so glad we took the chance.

June 18

We woke up to a perfect view of the peak of the Matterhorn without any clouds! We took the train to Zurich for our flight back home.

Our week in Switzerland was magical! The Swiss Travel Pass was so convenient. The Bernina Express and Glacier Express were included except for the seat reservation fee. We dressed in layers, always carried a rain jacket, and had good waterproof hiking shoes. We encountered the courtesy and graciousness of the Swiss people at every turn. The beauty of the Swiss landscape and thrill of the hikes will be etched in our minds forever. Thank you to the MySwissAlps team for your invaluable help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 June 2016 at 12:47:05 #853327

Hi Travelbug53,

Thanks a lot for your comprehensive trip report! Very nice to read and very useful for other travelers. I am glad the weather cooperated. You’ve certainly managed to visit a lot of wonderful places. The retreating glacier you wrote about in part 1 is certainly sad. Luckily, Switzerland remains beautiful, and anyone including travelers can help to fight global warming.

Thanks again, and I’m glad to hear our website has been useful 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2016 at 0:41:09 #853328

Thank you travelbug53 for the detailed day by day trip , it will be definitely helpful for the travellers like me as mentioned by Arno. Where did you purchase the Swiss Travel Pass with 30% discount ? I am also looking for a discounted Swiss Travel Pass like that. Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 June 2016 at 7:10:48 #853329

Hi chandraks,

That was a discount offered in March: myswissalps.com/ forum/topic/30-discount-on-1st-class-swiss-travel-pass.

All current promotions, if any, can be found here: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ promotions. Apart from that we post about new discounts in the forum, so as long as you’re subscribed to new forum messages you will be updated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2016 at 23:45:56 #853330

Thank you Arno, yes I did subscribed to the forum , getting the email messages as well

• The thread ‘Trip report June 11 – June 18 continued – Part 3’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.