Trip report on Lauterbrunnen for ten days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2019 at 12:33:09 #823234

If you are looking to completely unplug and revel in the beauty of the Alps, I highly recommend the Lauterbrunnen Valley. After we figured out that everything was so close in Switzerland, we opted to make this Valley our home base for our entire vacation. We rented a VRBO apartment in the lower part of a home across from Breithorn Campground. No car is needed though the location is very private. The Swiss public transportation system is extraordinarily efficient. We bought ten day Bernese Oberland Regional passes. Do NOT be scared off by the cost. This pass gave us the freedom to travel all buses, boats, trains, cable cars, etc. for free as well as discounts on Schilthorn and Jungfrau, which are further discounted on early morning excursions. Having the passes took away all stress. We could spontaneously travel anywhere in a huge area and simply flash our pass. We could ride a nearby cable car up to Gimmelwald or Mürren and in minutes be on hiking or biking trails, a trail runs the length of the valley making it possible to walk to Lauterbrunnen for any food shopping, etc. We could catch a bus to Lauterbrunnen and within minutes be on a train to Interlaken and points beyond. We paraglided in this valley, which our instructors believe is one of the best places to paraglide in the world. And lest you thing this is for twenty somethings, we are nearing 70. By avoiding large cities and crowds, we were able to immerse ourselves in the landscape that inspired Tolkien’s Elven kingdom and many poets and artists. The 72 waterfalls that fill the air with mist are a constant soundscape. This was bar none the most peaceful, active, spontaneous, soul filling vacation we have ever had.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 August 2019 at 17:42:02 #919325

Thank you for your report Seawindfall! I agree that the Lauterbrunnen valley is amazing!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2019 at 10:58:01 #919326

Thankyou this was great to read as we will be there for 9 days in September

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2019 at 11:03:13 #919327

You will love it! Let me know if you want more specific information. I used Find Penquins to create a travel journal and have pics and videos and writing for the whole period if you are interested. Can’t wait to read about your experience!

Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    12 August 2019 at 16:37:52 #919328

Thanks for your summary–congrats on the paragliding! We will be going in just a few weeks!

Question: although you have a pass, do you still need a “ticket” at most mountain transports to go through the turnstyles? i.e. you have to go to the queue/window even with a pass?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2019 at 9:08:24 #919329

Hello Meemskirk,

In certain places it will be the case that you need to pick up a ticket for the turnstyles even if you hold a Swiss Travel Pass. Where exactly I can’t say as I as a Swiss resident am not eligible for this pass.

If you can tell us which places you’re referring to maybe other members have personal experience to share.

In any case it would make sense to open your own thread in the correct forum with this question, as it’s currently in the “trip report” forum, with less chance of receiving accurate input from other members.

Best,
    Steph

Also see:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2019 at 13:03:39 #919330

We never purchased a ticket except for Shilthorn and Jungfrau, and there is a discount for early morning travel. We carried the Bernese Oberland Regional Pass in the plastic folder they provided and simply flashed it on every bus, train, boat, almost all cogwheel trains and cable cars and some funiculars. Incredibly simple. They provide you with a map of coverage and time table when you purchase it, which we did at the visitor information center in a lauterbrunnen.

• The thread ‘Trip report on Lauterbrunnen for ten days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.