Trip report part 5 – Kandersteg Oeschinensee

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2017 at 19:09:58 #813396

If you hadn’t already read my previous trip reports, see the link below.for part 4 which also contains the links to parts 1-3.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/no-4-of-16-day-trip-report-kandersteg-viaferrata

Day 6 – Oeschinensee & Brig

Our itineraries for the next day didn’t suit each other. Peter and Evelyne (see trip report part 4) planned to do the round trip around the lake across the face of the steep mountains towering above the lake, while I did the circuit 3 hour hike on the left that has the best panoramic view of the lake. Also because I planned to be in Brig later on in the afternoon so was on a tight schedule. They planned to start earlier while I couldn’t start till at least after 9 as the hotel breakfast only started at 8 am.

Weather was cloudy when I started the hike around 10 am, but then mid-way through the hike, the clouds cleared and the sun came out and the view of the lake was heavenly. The hike was relatively easy, I did the hike clockwise, while most people would normally do it anticlockwise. Met a couple with their dog, who was incredibly friendly and adorable, and held a yellow Frisbee in its mutt. He dropped the Frisbee once and it rolled down the scree quite far down and the dog just ran after it! I was so fearful that the dog might get into trouble but moments later it came up the steep slope panting heavily with the yellow Frisbee in his mouth. The owners then took the Frisbee and kept it in their bag to prevent a similar incident from happening. The dog was not too happy about it and occasionally tried to snatch the Frisbee from the bag.

See here for a short video on my four legged friend – http://www.instagram.com/p/BY x6DIYjwlX/?taken-by=bensumw

The trail was in good condition and I am confident that you could run it (trail running) as I did on certain sections because I wanted to catch the hourly train to Brig later on. The total time I took from the moment I got off the cable car and back to the cable car station was 3 hours. Which is almost an hour less than the recommended time. Mind you I also took a ton of photos, so I credit the running on the trail for the shorter time I took. The dog I met on the trail was off the leash and towards the lake, it tried to attack a mountain goat by chasing and barking at it, luckily the owners managed to get hold of the dog.

By fate, I met Peter and Evelyne on the restaurant by the lake and only had a couple of minutes to spare to speak to them as I was conscious of the time to catch the hourly train to Brig. I ran all the way from the lake to the cable car station in 10 minutes and ran again from the cable car station to Kandersteg train station in under 10 minutes to catch the train to Brig.

Reached Brig but it was pretty late in the afternoon around 3 pm. The original plan was to go to Alestch glacier panoramic hike but it would take too long (3 hours for the hike alone not counting the time for the cable cars) and was slightly tired from the previous hike at Oeschinensee. Therefore, I just visited the castle (Stockapler) and the Bellwald suspension bridge (Hängebrücke Fürgangen – Mühlebach) and headed back to Kandersteg. On the train towards Bellwald, for the 3rd time, I saw 2 fighter jets flying in the air, over the Rhone river.

Pictures here – flic.kr/s/aHsm4SpSpZ

Next up : Heart of Bernese Oberland (Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 September 2017 at 22:06:08 #870410

Aah, now I know how to get to that suspension bridge I saw from the Glacier Express. Really enjoying your reports Ben. Nice pooch!

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    1 October 2017 at 1:03:10 #870411

Beautiful! We didn’t get to Oeschinensee, so back on to my bucket list 😀

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2017 at 11:05:22 #870412

Hello Adelaidean,

Oeschinensee is a must do. It is like no other lake you have seen, ever.

I read your trip report. I think we did First and Bachalpsee on the same day(Monday 11th September). It was a beautiful day, at least for the first half of the day.

You had a way larger budget than me. I did 16 days through Switzerland and my total cost was CHF 2500.

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    2 October 2017 at 4:57:37 #870413

Hi Ben,

yes, First was clear when we arrived and then the clouds rolled in by the time we got to the lake.

I thought my days of youth hostelling were over, but I checked Alpenrose’s hostel in Scuol and thought….. maybe next time! A lot different to the one’s we used on our early travels over 30 years ago 😀

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 October 2017 at 11:47:57 #870414

Ben, I kept thinking you would do the Gemmi Pass Via Ferrata…as it would be right up your alley??

I love reading all your posts and the pictures/videos are tremendous. Thanks for sharing.

Oh Geologist

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 October 2017 at 22:01:31 #870415

Hi Adelaidean,

Shame that the clouds had rolled in by the time you reached Bachalpsee.

I was at the lake around 10 to 10.30 and it was glorious. Picture : http://www.instagram.com/p/BY 6NKcXD_O9/?taken-by=bensumw

Because of the amazing weather, continued on to Faulhorn (2,681m). View of Bachalpsee on the hike up to Faulhorn – http://www.instagram.com/p/BY 6OXJSD8B9/?taken-by=bensumw

Love the dusting of snow.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 October 2017 at 22:27:23 #870416

Hi Oh Geologist,

Thanks for taking the time to read and glad you enjoyed it. I’m pleased that i’ve not wasted my time writing up detailed trip reports and uploading photos.

Had a quick search and read up on Gemmi pass via ferrata. It looks tough. Thanks for sharing. Will check it out when i’m in Switzerland next time, which won’t be for at least a couple of years or more, but already dreaming of the day i do. As much as I love how beautiful and amazing Switzerland is, it takes up too much of my holiday budget 🙁

I had 5 via ferrata’s on my list which were all more or less on the same route of my planned itinerary. Was definitely doing 3 (weather permitting), which i did ( Engstligen /Chaligang , Kandersteg – Allmenalp & Murren-Gimmelwald). The other 2 were Eiger Rotstock and Schwarzhorn , both within Grindelwald area. But i had limited time and was not feeling fresh from the constant daily moving from town to town and the long days.

Plus Eiger Rotstock was quite expensive to get to being CHF 50+ return from Grindelwald to Eigerglestcher station even with a Swiss Travel Pass (25% discount). I did enquire on the Schwarzhorn via ferrata, at the Firstbahn and the lady checked the webcam and said there was snow all along the ridge, which makes it more difficult and risky and the peak would be just under 3000m. Plus, it is a long hike just to start the Schwarzhorn via ferrata.

I also came across another exciting via ferrata while waiting for the cable car at Triftbahn. The via ferrata was Talli via ferrata and it looks pretty tough too. See here for more info – http://www.grimselwelt.ch/en/ excursion-tips/taelli-climbing

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    3 October 2017 at 7:10:28 #870417

Great shots. We needed to be there earlier, but it was still fabulous.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2017 at 11:05:28 #870418

Hi Ben,

Whew….the Grimselwelt one looks ….crazy. We visited that area and it was less traveled for sure.

Thanks!

OhGeologist

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2017 at 2:45:57 #870419

>> I thought my days of youth hostelling were over, but I checked Alpenrose’s hostel in Scuol and thought….. maybe next time! A lot different to the one’s we used on our early travels over 30 years ago

If you ever make it to Saas-Fee, the youth hostel there is wonderful! I plan to write a proper review about it when I have time, but in the meantime I have posted some photos in response to another poster if you are interested:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/lucerne-as-base-for-mountain-excursions-and-hiking

The Youth Hostel at St Moritz is also great, and I will review that one too, when I get around to it!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2017 at 4:05:39 #870420

Love your trip reports Ben, and this one is no exception! It seems that Swiss dogs are every bit as intrepid as Swiss hikers themselves!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Trip report part 5 – Kandersteg Oeschinensee’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.