Trip report Sept 2018, day 2-Wengen & Lake Brienz

• Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    2 February 2019 at 4:59:19 #819729

The next morning we checked out and walked to the station for the train ride to Wengen via Lucerne. This was the first day we used our 2 week Swiss Travel Passes. The weather was still sunny and very warm and I was looking forward to it being a bit cooler in Wengen.

We had done the train trip between Lucerne and Interlaken in 2013 so I knew how beautiful it is. It had been a bit overcast then but this time it was clear and the scenery was fantastic – Giswil, Lungern and Lake Brienz sparkled in the sunshine.

After many hours we finally arrived in Wengen and were picked up by the porter of our hotel, the Alpenrose, and driven there. This place wasn’t cheap but was lovely. We had a nice big room with a south-facing balcony and from the balcony you could see some of the snow-covered mountains in the distance.

I had chosen to pay for half board which seemed very good value. The meals at night and the breakfasts were really nice and it was so easy to just stroll to the dining room – no need to go out walking up the hill looking for dinner. The first night we had pre- dinner drinks in the bar, but for the next four nights bought beers and snacks at the Coop on our way back from excursions and had them in our room, which saved a bit on costs.

There was a small storm this first afternoon after we arrived and after that the humidity reduced, which was better. We come from a hot and humid city, so I don’t like that kind of weather when we travel. There was no air-conditioning or a fan in our room here , and at night we had to leave the balcony door open in order not to get too hot. That was fine as it was quiet outside.

Day 3: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-september-2018-day-3

• The thread ‘Trip report Sept 2018, day 2-Wengen & Lake Brienz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.