4-day trip to Bernese Oberland, which rail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2016 at 20:42:47 #808429

Hi,

I am planning to be in Switzerland this coming April, from the 19th to the 22nd. We are coming from Milan to Bern, then would like to visit Thun, Interlaken, Wengen, Murren and Fribourg, then leave to Colmar in France.

What do you recommend? We are 2 adults and 2 children (ages 4 and 7). Should we get a pass or buy point to point tickets?

Thank you and kind regards,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    16 February 2016 at 6:01:18 #848467

Hi bolena75,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! So are you staying in Bern for all 4 days? Will you be using cable cars and boats too? If so, point to point tickets are too expensive. One of the below passes will be better:

Please see this page to get help making a choice. By the way, Interlaken is not really a place for sightseeing. I’d rather focus on the mountains and the city of Bern.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2016 at 14:35:10 #848468

Hi Arno,

Thank you for the information about Interlaken! I haven’t decided yet wether we will stay in Bern all 4 days or we’ll be moving around…

Do you know if children travel for free? (Mine are 4 and 7)

And should I get a pass for both adults or just one, and pay point to point for the other?

Last, If I buy tickets far in advance, will I get cheaper tickets (like supersavers) or it makes no difference?

Thank you so much!

Arno
    15482 posts
    17 February 2016 at 6:56:46 #848469

Hi bolena75,

Bern has a wonderful old town center, excellent train connections and several museums. It’s not in the mountains though. So it depends on our expectations whether it’s the right choice for you.

Please see the pages I linked to for your question about children’s fares. You need a pass for each adult. Click “Price” for the purchase options.

Tickets to/from Italy and France can be cheaper if purchased well in advance (from 3 months ahead of time). Please see myswissalps.com/ traintickets/ italy/price and myswissalps.com/ traintickets/ france/price.

If you choose pass #1 or #2 you won’t need many tickets within Switzerland. The only discount you could get is a Supersaver ticket, but these are not flexible so hardly suitable for regular, mostly weather dependable, day trips. You’d better look into the passes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2016 at 14:01:46 #848470

Thank you Arno!

We’ve decided to base out of Bern.

Last question!

Can I hop on and off from the train if I buy a Bern-Lauterbrunnen train ticket? I was hoping to get off at Thun and Spiez.

Thank you!

Arno
    15482 posts
    17 February 2016 at 14:46:26 #848471

Yes, you can as long as you complete the entire trip within one day.

Have fun!

• The thread ‘4-day trip to Bernese Oberland, which rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.