Trip to Davos, Zermatt and Luzern in wheelchair

• Lightbodyae5
    Participant
    21 posts
    29 October 2018 at 14:43:03 #818829

Hi

I am new here on this forum so I hope this is in the right place.

I wish I found this forum and website two years ago when my wife who is disabled and uses a wheelchair and myself had a holiday to Switzerland arranged by a company called Planet Rail who tailor make holidays for their clients.

As we live in the North East of Scotland up on the Moray Firth, it was easier for us to fly from our local airport (Aberdeen) to Zurich via Amsterdam, rather than take the train to London and then the Eurostar and then change trains in Paris or Brussels for Switzerland.

Our holiday consisted of three nights in Davos at the Hilton Garden Inn, what a fantastic hotel for the disabled especially those using wheelchairs. We had a trip on the Bernina Express what a fantastic ride.

We then had three nights in Zermatt having had a ride on the Glacier Express, from Chur, which we did not think it was as good as the Bernina Express, maybe it was the attendants on the train, who seemed very surly and rude, and we had to wait about an hour for a broken down train to be moved out of the way near Andermatt.

In Zermatt we stayed at the Fleurs de Zermatt Alpenhotel, which again is a great hotel for the disabled with wheelchair.

During our stay in Zermatt we were unable to the cog train ride to Gornergrat due to the weather being overcast and cloudy, but the following day we were able to get to the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise via the cable car system there. The staff on duty were extremely helpful and stopped the system so that my wife and I could get onto the cable car with the wheelchair without any problems, and at the top what a wonderful place, and going round the ice palace with someone in manual wheelchair being pushed on the ice is no mean feat, but we did it and it felt like a great achievement to get round the palace.

Our next stop was two nights in Luzern, at a hotel that left such an impression on us that I cannot remember the name of it, it was that bad, it certainly was not wheelchair/disabled friendly, with its steps into the restaurant, and breakfast room, and a very narrow lift to floor six where the only supposed wheelchair/disabled room with roll in shower was, but the door between room and bathroom, was too narrow to get wheelchair through. We were not impressed with the hotel or Luzern. It is difficult to explain why we did not like the place, maybe it was just the atmosphere. We had a trek around the old town and a little stroll down part of the lake, but we still could not find anything that would make us want to go back there.

When we go back to Switzerland hopefully in 2020 we will not be returning to Luzern that’s a fact.

I will be posting in the Switzerland Accommodation soon in regards to Wheelchair/disabled friendly hotels in the Zurich area.

What a wealth of knowledge and helpful pages of information this great website has, I am glad I found this now as it will help us plane our next visit to Switzerland in June 2020

Lightbodyae5

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 October 2018 at 17:02:22 #898480

Hi Lightbodyae5 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Thanks indeed for sharing your thoughts on your trip to Switzerland and your experiences getting around Switzerland with a wheelchair.

Hugely appreciated as these questions come up from time to time and great to get first-hand tips.

Looking forward to any future posts about accessible hotels!

• The thread ‘Trip to Davos, Zermatt and Luzern in wheelchair’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.