Trip to Interlaken – any dog-friendly beach?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2020 at 13:17:34 #824796

Hello,

We are returning to Interlaken this summer but this time with two children AND a dog! We are staying at a dog friendly campsite but the dog will understandably not be allowed on the shingle beach.

Are there spots where it is known people take their dogs to swim on lakes Thunersee and Brienze and possibly even Lucerene?

If anyone has any ‘must do’ walks or activities that are dog friendly or any general advice please also reply to this thread.

Thank you in advance,

Zoe

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    4 January 2020 at 14:41:02 #927349

Hi zoeadele,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Dogs are very much welcomed in Switzerland. As a start you should read this: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/dogs

Dogs on the hiking trails with their owners is a common sight here, just make sure you have them on a leash if you’re passing through a field with cows or something similar. Some lakes have no restrictions on pets swimming in the water but do check your surroundings first. In cases where it’s strictly forbidden, this is usually signposted.

Regards,

Anna

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 January 2020 at 0:26:40 #927350

Hi Zoe –

Campgrounds, playgrounds and swimming pools are shown on this map:

map.search.ch/?pos=641600,169184&z=16&poi=bad,camping,spielplatz

Could be a starting point for more exploration.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2020 at 1:46:12 #927351

I often swim in Swiss lakes, and I often see dogs swimming too. Some beaches might have ‘no dogs allowed’ rules or signposts but I think you just have to wait and see. The best bet is to find ‘out of the way’ or ‘unofficial’ creeks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2020 at 11:48:54 #927352

Hello zoeadele,

Thanks for your questions! There are many people who take their dogs out swimming in the local lakes and waddling in the creeks. If dogs are not allowed, you will see a sign. Personally I love to go to any of the local forests and have a picnic or sometimes we even grill food with the designated areas to do so. We enjoy a relaxing day along side the creek with my dog whom loves to play catch and waddle in the water too. Depending on your dog’s temperament around public places and people, the local forests is a truly a special place to be. It’s best to keep you dog on a leash if you are taking them for a walk. There are forests in Switzerland that allow the dogs to roam without a leash, if not, you will see a sign indicating whether it is possible. Important tip for your family and the dog, make sure he/she has a tick/flea collar, and or some sort of preventative measure for your family. Lastly, the dogs in Switzerland are well behaved. Up until 2016, it was mandatory that owners attend dog obedience classes with their pet, so please take note of your dog’s personality when you take it out in public places.

Look into Bonstetten Park when you are around Thun, it’s a great place for the family and your dog to be at:

Please also get familiar with rules about handling your dog in Switzerland. (please use your translation program)

Please also take a look at the below links:

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Suzanne

• The thread ‘Trip to Interlaken – any dog-friendly beach?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.