Jungfraujoch – weather and booking questions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 13:52:55 #811718

Hi,

I have an online booking and reservation for travel to Jungfraujoch on 14.06.2017. I have a few questions in this regard :-

1. In case the weather is bad on that day, will my tkt be changed to the next day or it will need a refund?

2. How much time one needs to spend up there? As of now, I have kept approx 5 hours which I think is on a higher side.

3. In case I wish to return early, can I use any train (for reaching Kleine Scheidegg) other than my pre-booked train which is at 17:13 hrs?

4. I will be travelling from Interlaken West to Kleine Scheidegg using EU Select rail pass. Will this be valid on this route?

Thanks

Sanjeev

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 17:37:07 #862935

Hi sanjeev,

1. Yes, we always recommend that people don’t buy a ticket to Jungfraujoch until the day before they go (or the day of) in case of weather issues.
    2. It depends on what you want to do up there. If you just want to go up and look around and don’t do any activities or hiking than usually 2 hours is sufficient.
    3. I believe you will have to take the train you booked at 17:13
    4. The Eurail Select pass gets you 25% off the ticket for the trip from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2017 at 13:43:46 #862936

Thanks for the reply Lucas. But I am still not clear on your two replies :-

1) In case of bad weather, do i get an automatic booking for the next day or I get a refund?

2) As per you, I will get 25% off on normal trains from Interlaken to Kleine using Eurail select pass. This is a bit confusing since I presume these trains upto kleine are normal trains (not special ones like cog wheel or mountain trains ). Correct me if I am wrong please !

Secondly, if I wish to change my train timing for return from Jungfraujoch , can I do it online?

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2017 at 13:58:49 #862937

Hi Sanjeev,

Sorry I wasn’t clear before.

1. Unfortunately you can not change your tickets due to weather issues. We recommend that people not book any tickets until 24 hours before departure to be sure the weather is nice.
      My suggestion is to contact the company you bought the tickets with to ask about their weather-return policy.
    2. I’m not sure about your confusion. With the Eurail Select Pass you get a 25% discount on train tickets that you buy for travel between Interlaken and Jungfraujoch. The type of train doesn’t matter.
      The Eurail pass doesn’t fully cover the ticket cost to get to Kleine Scheidegg or up to Jungfraujoch – is that your confusion?

Lucas

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch – weather and booking questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.