Trip to Montreux and Luzern – what to do

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 15:19:13 #815323

Hi,

I will be travelling to Montreux and Luzern in the month of May with my family (wife and kid daughter). I have 3 full days in Montreux and Luzern each.

So far my tentative plan is as follows:

Montreux Day 1 – Visit Chillon / chateu / Vineyards; Montreux Day 2 – Visit Chocolate and Cheese factory; Montreux Day 3 Visit Zermatt / Gornergrat.

Montreux to Luzern – Take the golden pass route (is it operational?)

Luzern Day 1 – Visit Mt. Titlis

Luzern Day 2 – Interlaken –> Jungfrau

Luzern Day 3 – Undecided (Rigi ? Pilatus? Schilthorn? )

Need help to plan the trip so that is enjoyable for my family and not too hectic for a 11yr old kid.

Thanks,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 15:48:05 #882249

Hi Rishi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, the Golden Pass route is available to travel. There is a 10km portion that requires everyone on the train to board a bus to get around construction – otherwise it is just fine.

Day 3: Well I wouldn’t go all the way back to Schilthorn if you go to Jungfraujoch on day 2 (I’d pick either Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch on day 2). PS Schilthorn is free if you are using a Swiss Travel Pass… 🙂

Read about Pilatus and Rigi to help you decide. Both are easily reached from Lucerne.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan your trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 18:27:48 #882250

Thanks Lucas for the prompt response.

From Luzern, how to go to Jungfrau?

Would I have to take a train from Luzern to Lauterbrunnen and then cog wheel to Jungfrau? From where to board the cog wheel train – Lauterbrunnen or Wengen?

On my return back, should I come back from Jungfrau to Grindelwald (does cog wheel train come to Grindelwald?) and from there back to Lucern? Or should I take back the same route through which I have come to Jungfrau?

What are the activities that I can do at Lucern: Explore the Ice Palace and Sphinx Observation Terrace?

Instead of Jungfrau, should I visit Schilthorn from Lucern ? And from there come to Murren/Gimmelwald and back to Luzern?

The SBB site says that travel time from Lucern to Jungfrau or Lucern to Schilthorn is approx 3.5 hours to 4 hours one-way. So around 7-8 hours of return trip.

Is it worth visiting these places from Luzern or should I plan for visiting Titlis, Rigi from Lucern and something else?

Pls guide.

Arno
    15481 posts
    14 April 2018 at 18:41:46 #882251

Hi Rishi,

If you click Lucas’s link to our Jungfraujoch page you’ll find many details. Click to the Route tab for route details and instructions on how to get there.

Whether all that travel time is worth it is a personal decision. The trip is quite scenic but it will be a very long day, especially if you plan stops along the way. I wouldn’t include Murren as it’s off-route so that takes even more time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 19:12:50 #882252

OK. Thanks Arno.

Regarding travel from Montreux to Lucern, do I need to do reservation on the Golden Pass train or will I be able to board any train? If reservation is required, which site should I use? Somehow when I use the link in myswissalps site, it takes me to HappyRail site and there I am not seeing an option to do reservation.

Is the entire golden pass route covered under the Swiss Travel Pass? What is the cost if I do not take Swiss Travel Pass?

Between Mt. Rigi and Mt. Pilatus, is there a recommendation?

Arno
    15481 posts
    14 April 2018 at 22:01:22 #882253

Hi Rishi,

You don’t need reservations and the ride is free with your Swiss Travel Pass (see the map). The timetable that Lucas linked to allows you to find regular prices. Do read the instructions on that page before you use the timetable.

Rigi and Pilatus are both wonderful. Please find our tips here, so you can see what you like best:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi

http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 10:38:01 #882254

Thanks Arno.

On the last day of my travel, I have to catch the flight from Zurich Airport.

I will be travelling from Montreux to Zurich. I plan to take SBB train.

Does the train go to Zurich airport?

If not how far is Zurich airport from the SBB station in Zurich where the train would drop me?

What are the options to go to Zurich airport from Zurich SBB train station?

madduris2000
    Participant
    32 posts
    15 April 2018 at 10:47:39 #882255

To me logical travel direction seems to be:

If you start at Zurich

Zurich-Lucerne- Interlaken-Zermatt- Montreaux

if you start from Montreaux

Montreaux-Zermatt- Interlaken( for Jungfrau) – Lucerne- Zurich

1. At Zermatt you could visit Matterhorne Glacier too

2. Strongly recommend small hikes in mountains on trail paths along mountain train route ( if kids can walk)

Ofcourse I am an Indian tourist unlike Swiss local experts like Arno et al.

Regards and enjoy

Sundar Ram

Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 12:14:24 #882256

I am sorry. I dint realize I have mentioned the wrong place. I had to mention “Luzern to Zurich”

Here is my correct question:

On the last day of my travel, I have to catch the flight from Zurich Airport.

I will be travelling from LUZERN to Zurich. I plan to take SBB train.

Does the SBB train that I will take from LUZERN go to Zurich airport?

If not how far is Zurich airport from the SBB station in Zurich where the train would drop me?

What are the options to go to Zurich airport from Zurich SBB train station?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 13:23:02 #882257

I see trains from Luzern to Zürich Flughafen. every hour in the morning on the SBB site.

So I guess there are hourly options of taking a direct train from Luzern to Zurich Airport.

Earlier when I gave Zurich Airport on the SBB site it wasnt giving any option and I dint realize Zürich Flughafen is same as Zurich Airport.

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 14:36:11 #882258

Hi Rishi,

That’s correct. There’s a direct train to Zurich Airport / Flughafen every hour.

• The thread ‘Trip to Montreux and Luzern – what to do’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.