Trip to Rigi Kulm via Vitznau

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2020 at 20:54:04 #825303

Just checking can I get the boat to vitznau from lucerne and then return the same way? A lot of posts seem to suggest cable car down to weggis and boat from there but was going to buy a return ticket from vitznau? Also prefer to go down again by train but am I right in thinking I end up in another area so would not be able to get boat back from vitznau

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    21 February 2020 at 21:29:44 #930592

Hi Abijac,

The route you mentioned is called the ‘Classic Round Trip’. It involves taking the boat from Lucerne to Vitznau, then taking the cogwheel train to the top of Rigi, and going down to Rigi Kaltbad by cogwheel train before switching to the cable car down to Weggis. From Weggis you can take the boat back to Lucerne. More details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/rigi/gettingthere

It is entirely up to you to do the round trip or go back the same way you came. Instead of boat, you can also take the bus and train back to Lucerne from Vitznau via Kussnacht am Rigi. Please use the timetable to plan your journey: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 February 2020 at 23:56:19 #930593

I’d suggest you go up from Vitznau and down to Arth-Goldau for a bit of variety. From Arth-Goldau you get a train back to Luzern. If you time it right you can catch the Voralpen Express. That’s the ‘Majestic Round Trip’ so it’s obviously superior to the mere “Classic’. 😉

Or you can do that circuit in reverse.

The cable car station in Weggis is a 15 minute walk to the boat dock. At Vitznau the station is very close to the dock.

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    22 February 2020 at 1:10:43 #930594

We’ve done the trip to Rigi via the boat from Luzern to Vitznau, “red” cogwheel train up to Rigi, “blue” cogwheel train down the other side to Arth-Goldau, then regular train back to Luzern. If I had to do it again, I’d start the same way, but take the “red” train back down to Vitznau and then get on a boat either back to Luzern or go further downlake. I think the train ride down to Arth-Goldau is not nearly as interesting or scenic as the train going down to Vitznau would be, and the train to Luzern from Arth-Goldau is definitely less interesting than a boat ride. Faster, but less interesting.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 February 2020 at 1:45:36 #930595

Hi CabinJon,

That’s interesting I had the opposite impression. I thought the scenery going up from Arth-Goldau was for the most part better than going down to Vitznau. Unless my memory fails me I seem to recall that below Rigi Kaltbad the train ran mainly through a forest so not much to see at all. Unless you like forests of course.

In the eye of the beholder I guess.

You suggestion to bat on further down the lake is a good one.

In fact if I were to do the trip again I would probably train to Flüelen (or Brünnen), boat to Vitznau, up to Rigi Kulm then down to Weggis and boat back to Luzern.

gramels
    Participant
    80 posts
    22 February 2020 at 10:38:47 #930596

partially living on mount Rigi I think the trip Vitznau to Kulm is more spectacular than the Arth side. You can catch various views to the lake, Pilatus and Bürgenstock from the train.

The picture attached is taken this week from Freibergen station.

Anna
    6274 posts
    22 February 2020 at 10:55:14 #930597

Hi gramels,

Thanks for the photo 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 February 2020 at 10:56:04 #930598

Hi Rockoyster –

<<“Unless my memory fails me I seem to recall that below Rigi Kaltbad the

train ran mainly through a forest so not much to see at all. Unless you

like forests of course.”>>

Since I frequently have a car when I go up on the Rigi, I find it convenient to park at Weggis and use the cableway ( eine Luftseilbahn) both ways. That is, in my opinion, the most scenic, though short, ride. In fact, a few years ago, for a couple of seasons, they offered a very scenic gourmet dinner in the cable car, suspended well above Weggis, nearer to Rigi Kaltbad, in the early evening after the regular scheduled runs stopped at about 1900 or 1930, and before the late night last run.a Weggis.

It has been a few years since I used either the train to/from from Vitznau, or Arth Goldau. Thus, it may be my memory that fails me. With that caveat, I recall a fair amount of open fields, as well as views of Bürgenstock and Pilatus out over Lake Lucerne.

I am sure, however, that the ride down to Arth-Goldau matches this description:

Somewhat below Rigi Staffel, where the tracks diverge, and particularly below Rigi-Klösterli the train runs mainly through a forest and in a valley with hillsides that obscure distance views, until you emerge from the forest somewhere above Krabel. At that point, for a short time, you have nice views of the valley and the lakes. ( Zugersee and Lauerzersee.)

So, my memories match those of Cabin Jon. I used to use the route from Arth-Goldau frequently, so that is a fairly reliable memory.

Never hesitant to use the excellent maps available, I looked at these maps:

map.search.ch/?pos=683832,208592&z=32

which shows a fair amount of open views from the Vitznau train, and the passage through forest of the A-G train.

This has more detail, and since it is a topographic map,it shows the hillsides and steep areas:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=en&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=1392,1538,1396,1430,1436&layers=ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2679961.33&N=1210924.05&zoom=6&layers_visibility=false

and, aerial image:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=en&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.swissimage&catalogNodes=1392,1538,1396,1430,1436&layers=ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2679961.33&N=1210924.05&zoom=6&layers_visibility=false

I zoomed in and out a bit, and switched back and forth between the color map and aerial views on both maps. That makes it quite clear where the forests are. The train routes are heavy black and white lines in the color map version once you zoom in far enough. Otherwise, they are thin red lines as you zoom out. Since the hillsides are quite steep in some places, a forest may not obscure the views completely ( you can see over most of the trees in those cases).

I have attached a few images, of general interest. The views of Old #7, now in the Transport Museum, show the valley walls at Rigi Klösterli, where the “train” stopped to take on water.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 February 2020 at 11:11:08 #930599

Hi Abijac –

<<“Just checking can I get the boat to vitznau from lucerne and then return

the same way? “>>

Short, simple answer.

Yes.

<<“A lot of posts seem to suggest cable car down to weggis

and boat from there but was going to buy a return ticket from vitznau?”>>

The cableway is the most scenic, though short, journey. On busy days at busy times such as late afternoon on holiday weekends, there is a line for the cableway. The train has more capacity. But, they run the cableway more frequently than scheduled at those times to reduce the wait. Extra journeys.

You may certainly buy a return ticket if you prefer, but there is no discount compared to buying two one-way tickets.

One way tickets, which can be bought “on-site” offer flexibilty if you change your mind once you see the lay of the land.

Although there is a 15 minute downhill walk to the ship landing in Weggis from the valley station ( just above Weggis) of the cableway from Rigi Kaltbad to Weggis, you can catch the same boat that you would have caught by going via Vitznau on the return.

Slowpoke

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    22 February 2020 at 14:51:46 #930600

Gramels – Nice picture but it opens upside down in my browser.

Slowpoke – Your first picture is the reason travelers should check the mountaintop weather cams before deciding not to leave for a trip due to bad weather in town.

gramels
    Participant
    80 posts
    22 February 2020 at 15:01:09 #930601

looks ok in my browser

try here:

http://www.instagram.com/p/B8tc2OhnVuo/?igshid=1ouvc2q8efxg9

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 February 2020 at 15:05:25 #930602

<<“

Nice picture but it opens upside down in my browser.”>>

Me too. If Rockoyster had sent it from Australia, I’d expect it to be upside down….;-).

But, not from the slopes of the Rigi.

Slowpoke

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    22 February 2020 at 15:05:34 #930603

Gramels – Second link opens fine. Again, nice picture.

gramels
    Participant
    80 posts
    22 February 2020 at 15:48:44 #930604

ok

my instagram http://www.instagram.com/gramels/ contains mostly Rigi/ Mittlerschwanden pictures

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 February 2020 at 19:42:51 #930605

Hi gramels,

Your pic looks fine where I am. 😉

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 February 2020 at 1:31:48 #930606

Yep.

The weather come sin layers. Here are some other examples, attached. Clouds and fog in the valleys. Clear above

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Trip to Rigi Kulm via Vitznau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.