Trip to Switzerland from 19th to 22nd April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 8:39:55 #814990

Hello,

I am planning the trip to Swiss from 19th to 22nd April, I have my flight from Brussels to Geneva and back on 23rd morning.

I planned below itinerary, let me know if you think its ok this way

Arrive on 19th to geneva airport, Buy 4 day swiss travel pass take train to Zurich main station, stay overnight in Zurich on 19th, Visit rhine falls in the evening around 4 PM and roam around Zurich or visit Lake Zurich via boat ride, Question 1: Will 4 day pass cover above plan for 19th and also boat ride on lake zurich, Is there any specific boat ride for Swiss travel pass holders or what do you recommend for boat trip in Zurich which is covered in Swiss travel pass?

Leave for Luzern on 20th April, stay 20th and 21st in Luzern and do Mt titilis (pay 50% fee which is 46 CHF,right?, Do Mt Rigi via boat ride to Vitznau and do Pilatus and roam around Luzer for 2 days and do some boat trips in Luzern, Question 2: Do this trip is covered in 4 day pass except I have to pay additonal 46 CHF for titlis, also do you recommend any scenic boat trips in Luzern which is covered under Swiss travel pass?

Take Golden pass line for all 3 legs from Luzern to Interlaken,Interlaken to Zweissmmen and Zweismmen to Montruex and spend time in Montreux and leave for Geneva, spend overnight in Geneva and roam around geneva or take some boat trip from Laussane to Geneva city centre. Question 3: Do this trip of golden pass line can be covered under 4 day pass , as I saw somewhere it is written with Swiss travel pass you can do Montreuzx to Luzern but is it valid the other way around and to be done in 3 legs as said above and also boat trips, also do you recommend any scenic boat trips in Lake Geneva which is covered under Swiss travel pass?

Coming to my final Question 5: Comparison between using 4 day swiss travel pass which costs me 270 CHF + 46 CHF for titlis which is 316 CHF, but Is this 4 day pass still valid for 23rd April, as I have morning flight of 6 AM from geneva, so I will leave from my hotel at 4 or 4:30 AM.

Or instead of buying 4 day swiss travel pass, Can I buy Saver day pass without HFC for 19th and 22nd April, which is currently priced at 52 CHF each, below link http://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/p ages/kontingent/kontin gent.xhtml;jsessionid= C179F9D3BA08DC928C066B 6B8DA9E625

and buy tell pass for 20th and 21st in Luzerne for 180 CHF, which will cover Rigi, Titlis, Pilatus and Vitznau boat ride, correct? which will cost me 104 CHF (saver pass) + 180 tell pass = 284 CHF, savings of 32 CHF

Only problem is I might have to buy train tickets from Zurich to Luzern for 20th April, or can I take tickets upto Zug and from Zug onwards, my tell pass can be valid for that day, and till saver day pass is valid till next day 5 Am, which means I can still take my bus from hotel to Airport at 4 or 4:30 AM to catch my flight at 6 AM.

I know its pretty long, but I just would like your expert opinion and see if I can cover my trip with some more cheaper option or not..

Many thanks for replying at the earliest.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 March 2018 at 9:35:38 #880003

Hello mehul89,

That’s a lot of questions. Here’s some answers in random order.

Q1. You can could just get a 3-day STP starting 20 April and pay for a ticket from airport to Zurich on 19 April..

Q5. Your 4-day Swiss Travel Pass will work for journeys completed by 5:00am on 23 April. So you need to arrive at Geneva Airport by 5:00am which would be kind of sensible if you are flying at 6:00am.

Here’s another to you Q3. Study the map you can download at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity to understand where the STP is valid. It doesn’t matter which way you are travelling.

Q2. Yes.

Q4. Is there a Q4?

If you are buying a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass buy it on-line (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price) and print it at home so you can use it when you step off the plane.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 9:42:22 #880004

Hi,

Well I was expecting a much better reply to be honest, Well train costs from Geneva to Zurich itself is 96 CHF, I think buying that and taking 3 day STP doesn’t makes my any cheaper, plus I have to buy extra ticktets to Rhine falls and back to Zurich, which will add more costs to my trip.

I was hoping that you can take some time out and read my posts and questions carefully and then answer one by one, sorry there is no Question 5,that is a typo, that is question 4. I know it would be a bit time consuming, but I guess that is why we have forum here, to answer your queries, Isn’t it?

Also, my query regarding using Saver day pass isn’t well answered too. So as I suggest, please read carefully my questions. thanks..

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 March 2018 at 10:05:46 #880005

So sorry, I misread your first day plans. We don’t get many people arriving in Geneva Airport and heading direct to Zurich as opposed to arriving in Zurich Airport. Forget the 3-day pass suggestion.

The answer to your Saver Day Pass question is yes you can do that and you only need a ticket Zurich to Zug.

Apologies that my earlier responses were not up to your expectations. I should not have attempted to answer your somewhat complex questions at the end of a long day, I am a but a humble volunteer here.

Travel well.😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 10:23:05 #880006

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I am a bit confused now with buying saver day pass, Below is the link from swissalps for saver day pas

http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/price

which actually says 1 day travel pass and covers mountain to rigi and other things for free, and price is 73 CHF, Is it that I need to have half fare card of 120 CHF before hand.

while if I search for saver day pass on SBB, I found this link and here it is 52 CHF for 19th April without HFC and 49 with HFC , there is no itinerary which is asked, just the date oftravel

http://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/p ages/kontingent/kontin gent.xhtml;jsessionid= 5EB2E7F4B24D3DA3E82FF9 68DB8E724C

So which one should I buy and does both serve the same purpose ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 14:39:05 #880007

Hi Mehul,

Correct, you can only use the 1-day travelpass if you have a Swiss Half Fare Card and Mt. Rigi is covered by the pass.

The Saver Day Pass is a cheaper alternative, offering the same benefits, but it comes with some restrictions. One of the restrictions is that cable cars and mountain trains are not discounted if you do not have a Swiss Half Fare Card. However, Mt. Rigi is an exception and is covered.

If you’re only planning a train trip and a visit to Mt. Rigi, then both passes will serve the purpose.

I hope this is clear.

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 March 2018 at 16:32:40 #880008

Welcome to MySwissAlps Mehul89! Of course you may dislike an answer, but we are not a travel agency or tour operator that you pay to plan or book your trip. Please bear in mind that fellow travelers as well as our moderators invest their time to answer questions, and they don’t ask for anything in return. Yes indeed, the forum is here to ask questions, so please do, but we can’t guarantee that everything you ask will be answered exactly the way you want to. I trust that you have read the forum rules, but here is a link to them just in case.

I wish you a wonderful trip, and please do let us know if any questions remain!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 9:33:41 #880009

Hi,

I appreciate the reply, its just my plan is not getting finalised and I have posting my queries on 3-4 different forums, So its just a frutrating traveller talking. Take my comments light headedly 🙂

Well now, I believe, I can plan, So I just need you expert opinion and let me know if this is okay from the travel perspective and sight seeing

I am planning to buy 4 day STP, Does the price remains the same if I buy when I land on 19th April or do you recommend to buy before as prices might increases, Does the price increases or something like that?

I want to cover Geneva, Zurich, Rhine falls, Luzern, Mt Rigi, Vitznau, Lake Luzern, Golden pass line from Luzern to Interlaken, Cable car to Schilthorn from Grindelwadd, Boat trip to Breinz or Thun, Golden pass from Interlaken Ost to Montreux with stopover at Gstaad or Saanen just for few hours, Boat ride from Laussane Ouchy to Geneva (Are they working in mid April).

Are this places can be covered in 4 day STP? and which boat trip do you recommend in Interlaken Brienz or Thun for half day? and which boat trip do you recommend on lake luzern, I will be doing Vitznau anyway?

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 March 2018 at 10:25:53 #880010

Hi Mehul,

Swiss Travel Pass purchase options can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. Prices do change a bit due to exchange rates and sometimes promotions, but not because of when you buy. I do recommend to buy online though. As Rockoyster said, you can simply print it at home and don’t waste time at the airport train station getting your pass. Just get on the first available train with your printout. Also currently the cheapest online retailer is slightly cheaper than buying in Switzerland: https://www.happyrail. com/en/pass/europe/swi tzerland/swiss-travel-pass-consecutive. Buy it no later than a few business days before you travel, to be on the safe side.

You have quite a long wish list for 4 days 🙂 You will need to work with the timetable to see if all of that is possible and if you are comfortable with moving around so much. And don’t forget that the weather is a factor. Not so much for the cities and towns, but mountain trips like Rigi and Schilthorn won’t be worth it in the rain (little or no views). Although they are free with the Swiss Travel Pass. So worst case it’s a waste of time, not money. See my Schilthorn link for how to get there (from Lauterbrunnen/Mürren, not from Grindelwald).

All except entrance to the Rhine Fall is included in the pass, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity and download the map to check for yourself.

Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips/b oat for recommended boat trips, links to timetables, etc. Boats from Lausanne to Geneva take at least 3.5 hours. With your time constraints I’d rather do Montreux to Lausanne in about 1.5 hours. That’s also the more interesting part of the lake in my opinion. On Lake Lucerne, the leg Flüelen-Brunnen would be interesting and different from the other part of the lake.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 10:40:15 #880011

Many thanks, Yea my plan is packed, but I guess that’s how it is when you have lesser days to work with. Isn’t it?

However I have plan only 1 or 2 excursion per day. Day 1: Rhine falls at Zurich, Day 2: Mt Rigi and Boat trip possible on Lake Luzern, Day 3: Schithorn in Interlaken and Lake thun or Brienz, Day 4: Golden pass to Montreux on last day.

As per your expert opinion, How do you see weather from 19th to 22nd April, Is it still better, I mean what you see from last year? I know it varies but still good to know.

Also, 4 day STP would be enough to do all the activities as I listed, there is no additional costs for travelling on top of it?A

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 13:58:46 #880012

Hi Mehul89,

The weather is always hard to predict! Mid-April in the main towns (lower altitudes) you may luck out with 15 or 18 degrees but it could easily be 10 degrees and rainy.

In the mountains I would count on between 0 and 10 degrees typically.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 March 2018 at 20:23:49 #880013

A suggestion for your day 2 to combine Rigi and extended lake cruise.

Catch train from Luzern to Arth-Goldhau. Train to Rigi Kulm, train to Rigi Kaltbad, Cable Car to Vitznau. Boat to Brünnen or Flüelen. Train back to Luzern.

Or boat Luzern to Vitznau. Cable car up, train down to Weggis an continue on lake. Or some other permutation of above. Plenty of options depending on time.

• The thread ‘Trip to Switzerland from 19th to 22nd April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.