Zurich airport to Zermatt times & tickets

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2018 at 13:26:11 #818659

My wife and I arrive into Zurich on Friday October 12th at 10:30 AM. We already purchased the Swiss Travel Pass 3 day version. We need to get from Zurich to Zermatt that day. From this website I believe there is a train at 1:30 PM, but we will have to switch trains in order to get to Zermatt.

Do we need to book a ticket or do we just show up to wherever the train station is at the airport? Are there people there to assist? Admittedly, I am not the best at this (probably obvious) and have high anxiety I will mess something up.

We want to see the Matterhorn and from again, this website, it appears we take the Gornergrat (spelling). We have not yet purchased those tickets. Part of the reason I did not is because it sounds like they don’t sell out and we can by them day of. Is there any reason we should buy before we get there?

Lastly, we need to get from Zermatt to Basel for our cruise on Sunday 10/14/18. Will the swiss travel pass cover that as well?

I really appreciate the help and sorry in advance for my scattered post. I will pay it forward when I get back!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2018 at 16:54:41 #897757

Hi HockeyGuy39,

There are many train options for you from Zurich airport to Zermatt. Tomorrow there is a 13:40 train arriving at 17:14 (changing trains in Visp). You can check options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Was that the train you were thinking of? The trains leaving the airport at :40 past the hour have the 1 connection at Brig and would be the simplest for you. I’d bet you can catch the 12:40 train.

With the Swiss Travel Pass your trip to Zermatt is covered so just hop on the train and find a seat (showing the STP when asked by train employees).

Same for the Zermatt to Basel trip. You can easily buy a ticket for Gornergrat once you are in Zermatt. The Swiss Travel Pass gives you 50% off the ticket.

You can see discounts and a route map of the Swiss Travel Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2018 at 19:22:05 #897758

And luck would have it weather has delayed our flight. So we likely won’t be getting into Zurich until 6pm or so. Do the trains run all day or do they start and stop and certain times?

Really appreciate yohr help Lucas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2018 at 23:18:00 #897759

Unfortunatley it looks like there is engineering work affecting the Zurich – Bern line.

SBB timetable is showing only two options for Zurich Flughafen – Zermatt:

18.40 from Zurich Flughafen (Train 830 from Platform 3) 1 change at Visp, arrive Zermatt 22.14

Then there is an unusual gap to the last available connection for the night:

20.18 from Flughafen Platform 4 , 2 changes (at Bern and Visp) arrive Zermatt 23.41

HOWEVER, you can beat the computer because actually there are also trains from Flughafen to Bern at 19.18 and 19.40 so if you miss the 18.40 you could at least get to Bern earlier to give you more time at Bern which would make the connection into the Visp train more leisurely

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2018 at 2:31:29 #897760

This is great information. Thank you so much. Giving me peace of mind. We have a long layover in Paris due to flight change so that helps me plan.

Really appreciate your help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2018 at 6:35:24 #897761

The easiest thing to do is download the Swiss railways (SBB) app on your phone and then check connections once in Switzerland. http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2018 at 13:16:44 #897762

Thanks. The app is really easy to use. It is odd there are like 3-4 different zermatt names but I assume they all end up the same place.

In paris airport now waiting to get the flight to Zurich. Making progress. Again appreciate the assistance, really alleviates a lot of stress.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2018 at 15:07:17 #897763

You just want the “Zermatt” stop on the timetable.

The others, like “Zermatt GGB” or “Zermatt, Vispa” are for other trips (GGB = Gornergrat Bahn) or small bus stops, cable cars.

When are are searching for travel to any town you just want to select the town name itself. When there is a 2nd name it is a bus stop, or train stop on the outskirts of the town etc.

In German towns, HB (ie Zurich HB) means main station which you can select. In French towns “Gare” (Montreux Gare) is the main station. But just selecting Montreux or Zurich or Zermatt etc. is all you need.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2018 at 21:26:52 #897764

Got here safe and sound! Thanks to all your help! It was actually pretty easy based off all the advice. If I can do it anyone can.

• The thread ‘Zurich airport to Zermatt times & tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.