Trummelbach falls in half a day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2017 at 14:52:44 #813441

Hello,

Staying in wengen next week and will half 2 half days and one full day. With one of my half days I would love to go to Trummelbach falls. I would likely take the bus there from lauterbrunnen and hike back.

I will arrive mid day on October 10th from Lucerne. I suspect it will be close to 2 pm by the time I arrive in Wengen. On the 12th I will be leaving for Florence around noon. I am wondering if I can fit this itinerary in to one of these half days and if so which would be better? Afternoon with no real timeline to get back except daylight or morning with a rush to get back to depart.

thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2017 at 16:19:38 #870652

Hi Peter,

The Trümmelbach Falls are open until 5pm and it would take you about 40 minutes from Wengen station to the Falls (train to Lauterbrunnen and then a bus). Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out your trip.

Typically sunny days are always good, but rainy days really increase the water coming through which can look spectacular.

I would say it is about 1.5 hours from Wengen to the falls or about 30/40 minutes from Lauterbrunnen (if you don’t want the hike up. 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 October 2017 at 21:56:24 #870653

Go there before you go up to Wengen? I recall luggage storage lockers in Lauterbrunnen…and possibly a left luggage office.

So, I used the SBB website and the station – Lauterbrunnen.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/further-stations/station.7384. html

The left luggage office is open from 7 AM to 7 PM 7 days a week.

Lockers – accessible 24 hours per day.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/further-stations/station.7384. html

and scroll down the page. There are only 12 lockers, 25 by 40 by 75 cm.

I’d bet that they will be full.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2017 at 1:49:18 #870654

Thank you so much for the help!

I understand the falls close at 5. However, I suspect that means I don’t want to show up at 430. How much time should I allot there? Would arriving by 330 give me enough time?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2017 at 6:06:46 #870655

Yes, I would think 1 or 1.5 hours would be sufficient at the falls.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 October 2017 at 7:28:24 #870656

Hi PeterZ –

Why would you choose not leave your luggage at Lauterbrunnen when you first arrive, and then have generous time for the Falls and a walk? That will take at least 40 minutes and maybe as much as an hour of back and forth out of the afternoon’s travels.

Note that sunset in Interlaken- the closest city that I could find to Lauterbrunnen – – on the 12th is at 646 PM.

dateandtime.info/citys unrisesunset.php?id=2660253

Twilight extends a bit beyond that, but the Lauterbrunnen Valley has steep sides and will likely be dark sooner. If you leave the falls at 5 PM, you will be near the end of daylight and it will sunset in Wengen when you get back up there. Brighter up there than down in the valley, of course. Still, the high mountains to the south and west do block the sun.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2017 at 18:58:18 #870657

Hello,

Yes, I think I will leave my luggage in Lauterbrunnen and go from there. Thank you for that advice. However I am not exactly sure when we will be arriving (depends on how our morning in Luzern goes). I was just trying to get an idea for how much time I should allot.

Thank you all so much for all of the advice! I will report back in a week or 2!

• The thread ‘Trummelbach falls in half a day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.