Two days in Grindelwald help with day trips please

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2018 at 19:49:35 #815913

We are doing a Rhine River Cruise in early October and adding on a short trip(by train from Basel) to Grindelwald.

After some preliminary research I was looking at the following itinerary and would be most interested (and appreciative) of anyone’s thoughts or suggestions.

Day One: Arrive from Basel and take cable car to first.

Day Two: Train to Kleine Scheidegg and then Cog Railroad to Jungfraujoch, Then train to Wengen (lunch, Suggestions?). Then train down to Lauterbrunnen (Waterfalls?)Then back to Grindelwald.

Do you think this is doable and a good use of our time in what appears to be a beautiful area. Any feedback and suggestions are much appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 2:14:42 #884974

Hi Davefarris1 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Looks nice some good ideas. Be sure to use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out the trips between towns and the mountain tops.

You can do a nice walk from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg to enjoy the scenery and waterfalls.

For details and other suggestions on what to do around Grindelwald click here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/grindelwald/acti vities

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 11:02:04 #884975

Lucas,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion. Other than the cog train to Jungfraujoch (which I think is discounted 50%) does anyone know if these routes would be covered by the Swissrail pass? Are the lifts to first discounted for Swiss rail pass holders?

any lunch suggestions in Wengen or elsewhere?

Thanks for your help and what a great website.

Rosinbloom
    Participant
    16 posts
    13 May 2018 at 12:08:33 #884976

Hi Dave,

Train to Jungfraujoch is 25% discount with Swiss Travel Pass, but 50% discount with Swiss Half Fare Card. Same is true for the other routes around Grindelwald (i.e., route from Grindelwald to KS and route from KS to Lauterbrunnen). See this map: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Check weather before heading up to Jungfraujoch. I hear it is no fun if the mountain top is shrouded in clouds.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    13 May 2018 at 12:12:19 #884977

Hi Dave

Lucas can correct me but I believe 50% discount on cable cars with STP and 25% discount on Jungfraujoch ticket. I believe the route from Grindelwald to Lauderbrunnen to Wengen is free with STP but 50% discount on upper route Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen.

You didn’t mention if you have any interest in hiking but if you want an easy fairly flat hike from First consider the walk from First to Bachalpsee and back, about 1:30 hrs. The scenery is spectacular. If it is overcast, Lucas’s suggestion of walking Lauderbrunnen valley to Stechelberg is an excellent choice. The easy walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is also an easy 1:45 hr and is very popular and scenic with very good views of Jungfrau and the Eiger. Of course there are many other options if you prefer a longer hike For me personally I much prefer to get out and enjoy the spectacular scenery with world class hikes to the more passive train ride to overlooks. Consequently I have hiked many if not most of the hikes in the Jungfrau area but never had a desire to go to Jungfraujoch. Of course I’m the exception instead of the rule ( I guess if your American you know what that means). Mark

Rosinbloom
    Participant
    16 posts
    13 May 2018 at 12:25:17 #884978

Mark is correct that you can get from Wengen to Grindelwald for free, but this this is true only if you go via Zweilütschinen. If you want to go via Kleine Scheidegg, then STP gives you only 25%.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 15:42:58 #884979

Thanks for all the great information all!

i’m sure i’ll Be pestering you with more questions after I have had a chance to digest all the info. Thanks especially for the easy hike info as that is probably the level we are looking for. Some artificial knees and hips in the group😀

it sounds like we should wait until the day of the trip to evaluate weather at Jungfraujoch. Without knowing complete itinerary (based on weather) you have me leaning toward a half fare card vs STP.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 18:12:49 #884980

Hi Dave,

You can see what is fully or partially covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity
    There is a list of top attractions and a PDF map showing routes.

I would agree not to commit to Jungfraujoch until the day of or day before to ensure weather is good.

The price discount for Jungfraujoch isn’t huge between the Swiss Half Fare Card and the Swiss Travel Pass (it is just the % difference sounds big).

Use our spreadsheet here to help do the math to compare rail passes

• The thread ‘Two days in Grindelwald help with day trips please’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.