Two days in Luzern, group tickets or Tell Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2017 at 18:06:14 #811349

Hi,

My name is Patrik

We are a group of 13 adults and and here is our itinerary:

Tuesday, May 2nd Arrive in Zurich Airport @10:30AM, then directly take a train to Luzern (1)

Wednesday,May 3rd from Luzern around to Hergiswil by boat(2) , then Hergiswil to TITLIS (3), then TITLIS to Luzern (cable car/train, no boat) (4)

Thursday, May 4th from Luzern to Zurich HB (5)

I have few questions regarding the trips above (1)to(5)

1. Is group tickets OR TellPass cheaper? I’ve tried the group tickets calculator at sbb.ch but it doesn’t give me price estimation.

2. If we book point to point tickets, is the travel time flexible?(eg. do we have to travel at the exact hours, or anytime during the day?)

3. What if our flight to Zurich got delayed and we miss our train?

4. Do we need to book the tickets online now, or can we buy it when we arrive in Zurich?

Also, we’ll stay near Luzern/Zurich station so we won’t be travelling by bus.

Thanks !

Pat

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2017 at 7:38:28 #861242

Hi Pat and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. The Tell Pass is probably your best bet – Swiss railways don’t really offer group discounts at all for cable cars, only trains. The only ticket you will still need to buy is from Luzern to Zurich. Read more about the Tell Pass-Summer and where it is valid.
    2. Yes, as long as you don’t buy a Supersaver ticket, you can board any train going to your destination that day.
    3. It won’t matter if you have the Tell Pass or a regular point to point ticket
    4. I would buy the Tell Pass online for sure – no waiting at the office at the airport . You can buy point to point tickets online or at the rail station (it should be fairly quick if you use the automated ticket machines) but again online is simpler!

I hope that answers your questions!

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2017 at 9:19:23 #861243

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your reply!

What about the discounts for groups mentioned in http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/discounts ?

My quick calculation based on my trip above reveals that, IF group discount applies, point-to-point is about CHF 70 cheaper per person

Regards,

Pat

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2017 at 13:44:59 #861244

Hi Pat, sorry I wasn’t specific on my post before.

The group discount doesn’t apply to the gondola to get up to Mt Titlis. They only apply to ‘regular’ trains

I still think the Tell Pass is the way to go for you, it should be a little less expensive and a lot simpler for you to use.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2017 at 15:49:38 #861245

Hi Lucas

Follow up question, is it possible to buy group tickets on the day we arrive in Zurich? Any chance it will be sold out for the day?

Thanks

Pat

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2017 at 17:38:46 #861246

No, there is no worry about tickets selling out. The only trains that can be full are the special panoramic trains that require everyone to make reservations.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2017 at 6:45:13 #861247

Thanks Lucas!

You’ve been really helpful.. cheers !

-Pat

• The thread ‘Two days in Luzern, group tickets or Tell Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.