Free day in Bern with Saver Day Pass – where to go

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 0:52:34 #815515

Hello all,

First off, this community is so helpful! Thank you for that.

We wanted to ask the community for ideas on what to do? We have two days in early May. We have travel passes and we are staying in Bern. Hikes and nature are enjoyed.

We planned on doing the Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Lauderbrunnen for a hike then Luzern and Mt. Rigi for day 1. Day 2 is open but Geneva, Zurich or Zermatt are possibilities.

We have SDP and will stick to what’s included i.e. GA areas only, no cable cars. Thanks for any help, ideas, and suggestions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 3:05:10 #883180

Hi Khoimai,

If you want to do some hiking in the mountains you won’t be able to avoid cable cars too much…unless you are ok with valley hike/walks. The Rigi works out with the Saver Day Pass but that is it. On the flip side of that a lot of mountain hikes won’t be passable due to snow levels.

For hiking ideas have a look at our hiking page but don’t count on any being open that are above 2000 meters. In Lauterbrunnen a safe bet is always the hike/walk to Stechelberg &/or the hike from Grütschalp to Mürren.

I always like recommending Zermatt and the Matterhorn but I’d highly recommend going up the Gornergrat for the best experience and views.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 13:58:20 #883181

Lucas,

Thank you kindly for your message. I’m trying to be as prepared as possible and the information you shared helps a lot.

Looks like we’ll stick to valley hikes at the lower elevations.

After some thought, I’m leaning towards Zermatt and Matterhorn. Really, I’ll be happy riding the swiss trains and enjoying the beautiful scenery! Good day

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 0:06:34 #883182

Note that Bern – Montreux – Lauterbrunnen – Luzern – Rigi is impossible in one day

Zermatt – Gornergrat is my standard recommendation for Switzerland. Well worth it but the Zermatt to Gornergrat section will not be free.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 15:31:59 #883183

Yes that is too much for a day, probably do the Golden Pass and explore luzern.

Thanks for the recommendations 1960man!

• The thread ‘Free day in Bern with Saver Day Pass – where to go’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.