Type of rail ticket to purchase Zurich to Zermatt

• molelymolely
    Participant
    12 posts
    29 February 2016 at 12:34:24 #808506

I will be going to Switzerland for a week and only be travelling between the airport, zurich, Zermatt and back to Zurich and then the airport again.

Is a Point to point ticket a better option for me or a rail pass is still a better option?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 February 2016 at 12:52:37 #848819

Welcome Molelymolely!

The Swiss Transfer Ticket is cheaper than regular tickets in your case. Please see here for where to buy one: myswissalps.com/ swisstransferticket/ price.

Are you sure you will not be traveling while in Zermatt? No cable cars into the mountains?

molelymolely
    Participant
    12 posts
    29 February 2016 at 13:10:29 #848820

I actually intended on visiting the Matterhorn but am still finding out more about going up there. I have already booked a hotel in Zermatt. What are the other ways of going up to the Matterhorn? Was also thinking of Hiking to Riffelsee Lake

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 February 2016 at 13:29:47 #848821

Hi Molelymolely,

Well, you can’t visit the Matterhorn itself but there are various viewing points. I like Gornergrat very much; you’ll be passing the Riffelsee on the train and you can easily hike to it (in summer). Klein Matterhorn is higher and closer to the mountain, but you will have a side view there, not the view like you see it on the postcards. Sunnegga is another option.

Cable cars and mountain trains are pretty expensive, so I’d recommend the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi. It includes the train rides from Zurich airport to Zermatt and Zermatt back to Zurich. Also you will get a 50% discount on further rides. Please see the link in my previous post for where to buy, but be sure to select the correct rail product on that page, and click “Show results”. If you plan to stay in Zurich for the night after your return trip you will need an additional ticket to the airport the next day as the Transfer Ticket will be expired.

molelymolely
    Participant
    12 posts
    1 March 2016 at 14:25:21 #848822

Thanks for the info.

For Gornergrat, this is a round trip train ride? As in its a train from Zermatt to Gornergrat?

I read somewhere that the trip is Zermatt – Gornergrat – Rotenboden – Hike to Riffelsee Lake – Hike to Riffelberg – Then train back to Zermatt.

Is this possible in the period of June?

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 March 2016 at 14:57:21 #848823

You’re welcome! It’s all by train (see the link in my previous post for all details), but if you want to hike along the way that’s certainly possible. Here’s an example: myswissalps.com/ hiking/rotenboden-riffelalp.

This trip can be done year round, but hiking is weather dependent.

molelymolely
    Participant
    12 posts
    3 March 2016 at 1:55:13 #848824

I forgot to ask. Are there any mountain bike tours around Zermatt for beginners?

What are the prices like?

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 March 2016 at 6:03:31 #848825

Yes, there certainly are. Most routes are not for beginners as Zermatt is surrounded by high Alpine terrain, but there are a few easy routes as well: zermatt.ch/en/mountain -biking/Mountain-bike-tours.

molelymolely
    Participant
    12 posts
    3 March 2016 at 12:14:41 #848826

Does the tour provide bike rentals?

It’s not a guided tour?

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 March 2016 at 12:26:05 #848827

Sorry, I don’t know. Please check the website and contact them if anything is not clear.

• The thread ‘Type of rail ticket to purchase Zurich to Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.