Advice for traveling to Uteliberg from Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2018 at 18:35:07 #817988

Hello everyone, I’m planning to visit uetliberg as part of my 2 day stay in Zurich as it seems to be a great place with fantastic view. I was wondering if I should incorporate this as the start of the day and roughly what would be the total time spent I set off from Zurich main station (my stay is in early October)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    20 August 2018 at 20:14:17 #894651

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Your departure station is Zurich (just “Zurich”…) and your destination is Uetliberg.The travel time is 20 minutes. You may choose to walk down if you feel like it (hiking up is of course also possible <G>).

Minnie
    Participant
    35 posts
    20 August 2018 at 23:04:01 #894652

Hi DSL,

Uetliberg does give lovely views…provided it’s not foggy, as the fog can lay like a thick blanket over Zurich. Hiking up or down, or both, as suggested by Snowman is a nice idea as there are lovely woods. It’s so close to the city that you can be flexible about the time of day you visit.

Even if you choose not to hike, there’s a fairly steep walk from the train station up to the tower / lookout (though there may be another route). It’s an easy walk if you are used to walking uphill – I don’t want to put you off, but it’s best to wear sensible shoes or find another way to get there.

Others may have more expertise on whether fog can be expected in early October. I think it was probably early June when we were last there. We had a nice time climbing up the tower and imagining what we’d be able to see on a clearer day.

Cheers,

Minnie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2018 at 11:17:30 #894653

HI DSL,

Anytime is good with the weather cooperates. It is indeed quite quick to get to from Zurich main station. There is about a 10 minute walk to the very top of the mountain (with viewpoint and restaurant and hotel) once you are off the train.

If you like there is a hike you can start at the top and walk along the mountain ridge parallel to the lake – fairly flat. http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/uetliberg-felsenegg

• The thread ‘Advice for traveling to Uteliberg from Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.