Up to €30 off train tickets if you book early

• Arno
    15471 posts
    17 February 2017 at 11:04:23 #810838

Hi everyone,

Rail Europe offers a discount if you book your tickets well in advance. Please see http://www.raileurope-world.com/deals-and-promotions/EuropeWinte rDeals or http://www.raileurope.com/pro motions/sooner-the-better-promo.html (US website) for the promo codes.

Promotion details:

• You’ll get a €10 discount if you book 1 month in advance, €20 if you book 2 months in advance and €30 if you book 3 months in advance. The discount also applies to other currencies, e.g. $10, $25 or $35 off;
    • The discounts applies on any order that contains at least one point to point ticket. Apart from the ticket you can order along passes;
    • A minimum order value of €300 ($340) applies;
    • The promotion expires March 30, 2017, or sooner if the maximum number of promo codes has been used;
    • This promotion is only available online through the above websites and several other Rail Europe websites. You’ll find links on the Promotions tab of all our rail pass and ticket pages.
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2017 at 20:41:37 #859095

Thanks for the information 🙂

Is it still cheaper to get the half price pass? Thanks

Alexis

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 February 2017 at 21:20:51 #859096

You’re welcome Alexis!

I’m not sure if I understand your question. I can’t see how this promotion would cause a different pass to be a better choice. It is a way to save some money though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2017 at 2:42:16 #859097

Hi Arno,

Does this promotion apply to Swiss Rail Pass too?

Thank you,

Chee

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 February 2017 at 6:33:13 #859098

Hi Chee

It does as long as you also order a point to point ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 7:30:07 #859099

Hi, if let say i would like to travel on 19 – 26 of March 2017, Can i enjoy the discount if i buy now.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 15:43:30 #859100

Hi Maizan,

Are you talking about buying a pass for that week? Normally, you would need to book at least one month in advance to get the 10 euro discount. To be sure I would click the link for the tickets and check to see the price as we are just within one month of your last travel date.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2017 at 16:35:59 #859101

Hi,

We will be at Switzerland from April 6-17. Zurich International Airport is our entry point and last stop. I would like to buy the Swiss Travel Pass Flex but I don’t see the option for it. Please advice.

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2017 at 18:15:44 #859102

Hi luthienbabe,

You should be able to find the Swiss Travel Pass Flex under Swiss Travel Pass here – select the option for 15 days within one month rather than continuous (assuming that’s the number of days you want). For some reason they don’t specify it as the Swiss Travel Pass Flex.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2017 at 17:48:31 #859103

Hi everyone,

we will be a family of four, two adults, a 16 year old and a 15 year old. We will be in Switzerland for 10 days from 2nd July and are opting for the swiss travel pass so we can use all transport system without having to buy tickets all the time. I am a little bit confused about this promotion. I have asked this question on fb and they said there are no promotions on the swiss travel pass and suggested i ask over here. Does this discount apply for the Swiss travel pass or is there a second swiss pass? I have chosen the swiss travel pass for 8 consecutive days and inserted the promotional code and the discount was allowed but i did not book any point to point trip! Here is the link of the result http://www.raileurope-world.com/index.php?page=sales&re_domain=c art&re_oper=overview.

Thanks in advance

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 March 2017 at 20:39:41 #859104

Hi Pensieri, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I just tried the promo code “EUROPE1737” while adding Swiss Travel Passes to the shopping cart on http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-travel-pass-82. Indeed it works and it displayed a €30 discount. Good find!

It should not work like that though. As described in my first post and also under “see conditions” on http://www.raileurope-world.com/deals-and-promotions/EuropeWinte rDeals, a point to point ticket should be included in the order. However, if they actually grant the discount even without such a ticket, I see no reason why not to proceed and buy the passes.

I don’t know what happens if you actually proceed to payment as I did not try that. Should you find it is not possible anyway you can just add one very cheap ticket, e.g. Basel to “Basel Bad Bf” (only € 4.80).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2017 at 20:50:07 #859105

Great Arno, thanks really much. One last question since I will be purchasing 2 adult and 1 youth x 8 consecutive day tickets, is it possible to purchase them one by one since if I make one purchase including all tickets, it only allows us €30 discount?

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 March 2017 at 22:12:45 #859106

You’re welcome! That should be possible if the minimum order amount is reached for each order. But I haven’t done it myself, and it’s not our website, so you’d best just try that approach.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2017 at 22:35:58 #859107

Thanks once again Arno, very much appreciated.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 March 2017 at 11:55:07 #859108

Hi Pensieri,

Regarding your Facebook message: “By any chance, i read that we have to present an id card with the travel passes, does it have to be the original one or a photocopy is enough?

Officially the original passport is required. I don’t know what happens if you can only present a copy. In most cases they are only interested in the passes, but occasionally the passport will be checked too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 8:27:22 #859109

Hi Arno,

Thank you for sharing this information. I noticed when purchasing swiss travel pass, the start date is mandatory, is it possible to change the start date after I purchased the pass? I have plans to travel in September but I can’t fix the date yet. Thanks !

Regards,

Jingyi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 17:20:27 #859110

Hi yjingyi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, the start date is mandatory and cannot be changed once purchased. You could cancel the pass but that would incur a penalty of 15% I believe.

I wouldn’t buy the pass until you are 100% sure on your dates. There is no rush to get the pass – they can’t run out of passes to sell. Just ensure you buy the pass with enough time to have it mailed to you or emailed and printed at home before you travel.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2017 at 1:49:29 #859111

Thanks Lucas for clarifying. Looks like I’m going to miss the discount 🙁

• The thread ‘Up to €30 off train tickets if you book early’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.