Train routes & timetable questions

• StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    15 June 2018 at 15:15:35 #816656

I have an upcoming trip to Switzerland, I have already booked my hotels and now getting ready to book the rail portion of my trip. I am wanting the experience of riding the Glacier Express and the Bernina Express also would like to throw in the Gotthard Panorama Express.

I have discussed some of this trip on the forum in the past and set a reminder to re-visit when I get closer to the 90 day out period. I understood that I could not purchase tickets or make reservations until 90 days from departure.

I have basically 4 parts of the trip.

Rail trip 1. Zurich Airport to Zermatt (Sept 13), it was recommended on the forum to use “via Kandersteg” for a more scenic route. I am all for the more scenic route but when I entered this info in the timetable and selected Sept 13 2018 and set time to 10:30 it changes the date to 12.09.18. So I set it to Sept 14 tab over to time and it changes date to 13.09.18 (correct date now) hit “search for connection” several options I select 11:18 for CHF 64.50…”Your selected date of travel is not within the advanced booking period”.

I selected August 13 to see if it would let me purchase (after it changed the date to August 12) it gave me the option to purchase and at the bottom of the page were some other options.

Upgrade City Kloten? + CHF 4.30

Saver Day Pass – CHF 25.50

1-day travelpass for the Half-Fare travelcard + CHF 10.50

Rail trip 2. Zermatt to Filisur

Rail trip 3. Davos to Lugano

Rail trip 4. Lugano to Lucerne

I have not purchased my half-fare card yet, but plan on purchasing.

I am planning to be traveling solo so I don’t mind upgrading to first class to have more space and fewer people.

Any advice/help is appreciated.

Steve

• The thread ‘Train routes & timetable questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.