Upcoming trip in June 2011

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2011 at 17:06:25 #804311

I need some advice regarding whether to purchase a regular swiss pass or the flexisaver
    Itinerary as follows
    Day 1– basel to muerren
    Days 2-3 — spend in muerren area but use local trains/cablecars, etc to explore
    Day 4– travel to wengen
    Days 5-7 — spend in wengen but use local trains/cablecars, etc to explore area
    Day 8 — travel to St. Moritz
    Day 9 — glacier express to zermatt
    Day 10 -12 — explore zermatt area with local cablecars, etc
    Day 13 — zermatt to zurich for flight back to usa

Any thoughts on this itinerary??

also, any advice on reasonable hotel in st. moritz and also zurich airport??

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!!

Gary Mallis
    [email protected]

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 March 2011 at 6:04:23 #832881

Hello Gary,

It’s a beautiful itinerary that allows you to see much of Switzerland! I would personally not move from Muerren to Wengen but select one base and do all day trips from there. Everything in the Jungfrau region is close together so one base will do.

A 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would be perfect. You can use it for your transfers on day 1, 8, 9 and 13.

Hotels can be found here and there’s a list of convenient hotels near Zurich airport as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2011 at 11:57:01 #832882

Thanks so much for your quick reply
    1 other question– is the glacier express ticket also included as part of the Swiss saver flexi pass??

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 March 2011 at 13:13:19 #832883

Yes, the Glacier Express is included in the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. All you need additionally is a seat reservation for the train of your choice.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2011 at 10:59:25 #832884

[quote]Arno said: Hello Gary,

It’s a beautiful itinerary that allows you to see much of Switzerland! I would personally not move from Muerren to Wengen but select one base and do all day trips from there. Everything in the Jungfrau region is close together so one base will do.

A 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would be perfect. You can use it for your transfers on day 1, 8, 9 and 13.

Hotels can be found here and there’s a list of convenient hotels near Zurich airport as well.[/quote]

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2011 at 11:03:13 #832885

Thanks for the reply
    One other question– on the day I travel from muerren to st. moritz– what is the best route to take and approximately how long will it take me?– THX Gary

Also, any ideas about cheese tours in appenzell– i want to do this on the way from zermatt to zurich– any ideas appreciated– Thanks Gary

Annika
    7116 posts
    30 March 2011 at 14:50:19 #832886

Hi Gary! The most direct connection between Mürren and St. Moritz runs via Interlaken, Bern, Zurich and Chur, and takes about 6h30. A variant would be to get to Zurich via Lucerne, instead of via Bern. You’ll cross the beautiful Brünig Pass, but it does add extra time to the long trip. Connections can be found through the Swiss timetable. You can specify ‘via stations’ (such as Lucerne) as well. One more option is to get to Brig first, following the impressive Lötschberg pass by regional train. However, this journey takes 8 to 9 hours, and the part from Brig to St. Moritz is similar to the Glacier Express route you’ll be using a few days later, so I guess you don’t prefer this.

As for cheese tours in Appenzell: you won’t have lots of time to do this, as the trip from Zermatt to Zurich via Appenzell takes about 7h30. You may have time to visit the Appenzell cheese factory (there’s no English version of this website, but Google translate may help you understand the content). A short (self-guided or guided) tour takes 1 hour.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2011 at 22:29:25 #832887

thanks for the info

another question– i am considering riding on the “swiss chocolate train” — i looked on the internet and was trying to get the most up to date info

does it only run on certain days??

i want to ride on it monday june 13th– i will probably have a swiss pass– how do i make a reservation and can you tell me the exact times it leaves montreux and the timing of the schedule for the day– hard to find up to date info

Thanks

Gary

Annika
    7116 posts
    10 April 2011 at 4:48:53 #832888

Hi Gary. The Chocolate Train runs on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays in May and June, so it runs on Monday June 13 as well. I think this web page will provide the information you’re looking for. You can download a brochure with travelling dates, times and prices, and there’s a link to a booking form.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2011 at 14:49:31 #832889

hi again– i was wondering if i can get the ” 6 day Jungfraubahnen pass” when i get to switzerland – i read somewhere that i can buy this pass at any train station– is that true??– also, can you please give me a link to some hikes in the zermatt area?

thanks much– Gary

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 May 2011 at 1:52:43 #832890

Hi Gary,

The Jungfraubahnen Pass can be purchased at manned stations in the region where it’s valid. I’m not sure whether you can buy it on other Swiss stations.

Some hikes around Zermatt can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2011 at 13:00:45 #832891

Thank you very much– now for a very simple question……..
    are the electrical plug adapters the same for both germany and switzerland– that is the 2 rounded posts plug– although i have seen pictures of a “3 rounded plug” what do i need??

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 May 2011 at 2:09:40 #832892

Hello Gary,

I think this topic will answer your question.

• The thread ‘Upcoming trip in June 2011’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.