ID required to book TravelersWifi?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 21:24:37 #817109

Hi, in process of booking travelers global WiFi and they want copy of my drivers license or passport to verify my identity. Is this normal and needed? Just concerned about possible identity theft.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 July 2018 at 4:58:48 #890352

Hi Eurodani,

I’m not sure if it’s required by law but it is quite common to identify yourself if purchasing communication services in Europe. Click Terms & Services in the bottom of https://www.travelersw ifi.com to read that this is part of the process. Most if not all shops selling SIM cards will also ask to see you ID. This is a trusted company, I know them pretty much since they started. You should indeed be careful sharing your passport, I don’t like it myself either, but I wouldn’t worry in this case.

Have a good trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 5:01:52 #890353

Hi

Are you from UK and do you have roaming on your phone contract? I did not have WI fi but as I had roaming in Switzerland included in my deal I was able to connect to Swisscom which was amazing. I always had coverage wherever I was even deep in the Gotthard Tunnel or 3000 metres up a mountain therefore wifi was not needed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 5:47:10 #890354

I was wary about sending my passport and sent my (Canadian) drivers license

ive been using it for 2 weeks and it’s fantastic!

fyi It didn’t work for the one day I was in Italy during the Bernina express-it took me awhile to realize it wouldn’t work there!

helene

• The thread ‘ID required to book TravelersWifi?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.