Urgent help rail passes Paris, Switzerland, London

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Avish
Avish
16 posts
Jun 5, 2018 - 8:31 PM

Hi Friends, Need some advise on the train passes suitable for my itinerary. My itinerary is as follows :

Jun 22nd = Zurich airport to Zermatt by Train

June 23rd & 24th = In Zermatt. Will buy excursion tickets to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise, Gornegrat and Sunnega

June 25th = Zermatt to Grindelwald by train

June 26th thru 28th = Will take trips to First mountain, Mannlichen, Lauterbrunnen waterfalls, Wengen / Murren and either Jungfrau or Mt Schilthorn mountain excursion.

June 29th = Grindelwald to Paris (Via Basel)

July 4th = Paris to London with the Eurostar.

Now I seem to have two options as below :

Option A) : Buying the Eurorail 2 or 3 country pass that would cover Paris to London Train with the Eurostar. I am not sure if I need to buy the 5 day 3 country euro rail pass or the 4 day 2 country eurorail pass would allow it as well. On the website it mentions that we need a 3 country eurorail select pass to get be able to reserve on the Eurostar train. Any insight on this ?

The Eurorail would also cover my travel from Zurich to Zermatt, and Interlaken to Paris. Grindelwald does not seem to be included ?? In this option I could then perhaps get the 3 or 4 day Jungfrau pass and could also get the Half Fare Card for each adult so we could get the Matterhorn/Gornegrat and other tickets also at half price. And perhaps the Junior card at chf30

Option B): I would have to buy the Basel to Paris and Paris to London seperately while there is not much difference in the ticket prices but only with the eurorail, I would incur additional reservation costs. And then I could either buy the Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days. Or I could get a Swiss Travel pass in combination with a Jungfrau Travel Pass. For the kids, the family card.

Can I have some suggestions between the two. If I were to go with option B, do you think i should get a Swiss Travel pass or a swiss travel pass in combination with a Jungfrau travel pass. Will the Jungfrau travel pass give me more savings while I do my excursions from Grindelwald and would it include Mt. Schilthorn for free as the STP.

Look forward for your insights. Thank you, Avish

rockoyster
rockoyster
4066 posts
expert
Jun 5, 2018 - 10:30 PM in reply to Avish

Hello Avish,

No one can answer that question for you without doing the full math on your precise itinerary.

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

If it was me I would just buy the Swiss Travel Pass and avoid the headache that too much spreadsheeting can cause. 🤓

Lucas
Lucas
9817 posts
expert &
Jun 6, 2018 - 6:04 AM in reply to Avish

Hi Avish,

Within France, there is a limited number of seats for Eurail pass holders on some trains, but not the TGV Lyria trains to/from Switzerland (https://www.eurail.com /en/plan-your-trip/about-reservations/reservati ons-france)

You can see what routes and attractions are covered by Eurail Select Passes here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/eurailselectpass /validity - you get 25% off the ticket cost from Interlaken to Grindelwald (and anywhere in that valley).

To see what the coverage differences are between the Swiss Travel Pass and Jungfrau Travel Pass look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity / https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrautravelpa ss/validity

Doing the math as Rockoyster mentions is the only way to know which rail pass is best for your trip.

Last modified on Jun 6, 2018 - 10:49 AM by Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018