Any USA to Switzerland power adapter recommended?

Any USA to Switzerland power adapter recommended?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Jfblake23
Jfblake23
8 posts
Feb 8, 2018 - 8:48 PM

Hello!

What kind of power plug adapter or voltage converter do we need for the power sockets (outlets) used in Switzerland? We are traveling from the USA. Are there any adapters in particular people recommend?

Thank you :)

rockoyster
rockoyster
3688 posts
expert
Feb 8, 2018 - 9:37 PM in reply to Jfblake23
SkiBivio
SkiBivio
4 posts
Feb 9, 2018 - 1:03 PM

Hi. First, you need to make sure that whatever appliance you bring also works on 240V / 50Hz. Most electronic stuff, like computers, cell phone chargers, etc. do. If it's something that doesn't, usually stuff that heats, like a hair dryer, you'd need to look for a "step down converter," not just a plug adapter (available on Amazon). If you go to Amazon, just type in "Swiss power adapter," there are plenty listed. Most Swiss outlets are 3-prong. This is the one that we use: www.amazon.com/OREI-Switzerland-Adapter-Plug-Type/dp/B008JCVF32. It will accommodate US two and three prong plugs. If you're bringing a laptop that has a power pack, it's probably good for 120-240V / 50-60Hz, so all you'd need would be a power cable, with a Swiss plug, on the end. www.amazon.com/gp/prod uct/B00667WH20/ref=oh_ aui_detailpage_o08_s00. Hope that helps.

cam223
cam223
66 posts
Feb 9, 2018 - 2:40 PM

Amazon has the best deals on the adapter plugs. We bought a package of 4 recently. Travel stores may not have the right adapters and they certainly charge a lot more for 1 than we paid for 4 online.

If you are bringing Apple products, make certain that you have a power adapter not just the world traveler adapter kit. The kit does not have the piece that you need to plug your phone into. You may already have one but don't leave home without it.

Arno
Arno
10747 posts
expert &
Feb 9, 2018 - 5:25 PM in reply to SkiBivio

Welcome to MySwissAlps SkiBivio! You live in a wonderful area.

Jfblake23
Jfblake23
8 posts
Feb 9, 2018 - 5:41 PM in reply to SkiBivio

Great!

Thank you all for the information. I will take a look on Amazon. I will likely need a step down converter as well.

SkiBivio
SkiBivio
4 posts
Feb 9, 2018 - 6:15 PM in reply to Arno

Thanks. We have lived in Zürich, Genève and Rotkreuz (Zug). Bivio is small, but we’re only 20 minutes from St. Moritz and an hour from Italy 🇮🇹.

Peterli
Peterli
437 posts
top member
Feb 9, 2018 - 7:24 PM in reply to SkiBivio

Hej Don,

That second link you provided, (www.amazon.com/gp/prod uct/B00667WH20/ref=oh_ aui_detailpage_o08_s00) looks like a power cable for a printer.

, on the end. www.amazon.com/gp/prod uct/B00667WH20/ref=oh_ aui_detailpage_o08_s00. Hope that helps.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3688 posts
expert
Feb 9, 2018 - 8:05 PM in reply to SkiBivio

Great photos on your www.edelweissphotos.co m/ Don.

SkiBivio
SkiBivio
4 posts
Feb 9, 2018 - 10:40 PM in reply to Peterli

Hi Peterli,

I think it probably all depends. It wouldn’t fit my Brother printer or my wife’s Chromebook. It would fit my display, but I bought that here, so it came with a cord. The one in the link is what I got for my Alienware laptop. You raise a good point, though. One should check what’s needed, before ordering. Best!

SkiBivio
SkiBivio
4 posts
Feb 9, 2018 - 10:41 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks very much!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018