Using a car in Kandertal

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2017 at 15:38:10 #812508

I will be driving from Grindelwald to Kandersteg in October 2017 and would be grateful for your help concerning: What are the restrictions on using a car in Kandersteg? Can I drive beyond Kandersteg on the road going south to Eggen? Do Post buses operate in and around Kandersteg?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 July 2017 at 16:05:38 #866221

Thanks for joining us Partridge274!

You can drive at least as far as the cable car station in Eggeschwand. Is that where you want to go? Access to the road into the Gasterntal is limited (only in Summer at particular times, and a toll must be paid). Other roads further south are narrow and steep, and I am not sure if anyone is allowed to drive there. I don’t think so. There are buses too.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 July 2017 at 1:15:46 #866222

Also, there is a car-train for the really southern destinations. Perhaps Partridge274 already knows that; not sure.

Post bus schedules would be in the timetable.

This link gets you to the “old” set of pages by route number.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/timetabl e/printed-timetables/official-timetable.html

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 18:17:53 #866223

Many thanks to Arno and Slowpoke for your advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 8:53:56 #866224

The Gasterntal is very nice to do and is (by car) open until end oktober. The street to Gasterntal begins near the Gemmibahn. By nice weather you can also do the Gemmi till the Schwarenbach hotel/restaurant (offen bis 29/10/2017) and back to the Gemmibahn. Near the Gemmibahn there is a large carpark.

Information: gasterntal.ch

Greetings from the Netherlands, Brahms

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 July 2017 at 9:06:09 #866225

Hi Brahms-

<<“very nice to do”>>

Surely! I was not aware of it and your post was very educational. Looks like a really beautiful place.

And, bus service at least to Selden.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Using a car in Kandertal’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.