Using a Glacier Express voucher

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 19:28:43 #814372

For his 70th birthday my children bought my husband a Glacier Express voucher. Value CHF 325. This was intended to cover the trip from Zermatt to St Moritz in first class with a 3 course meal. I have a Swiss Travel pass so my ticket cost is covered. Unfortunately I have made an error when reserving the seats & I am having difficulty trying to resolve it.

When I went on line to reserve seats & book 2 meals I missed the box where you have to put in the voucher code. This was because on the booking page it asks you to enter the discount code not the Voucher code so I didn’t realise it was the same thing. Consequently I had to pay for the seat reservation & meals without using the voucher. I rang Glacier Express to try & cancel the reservation & try again but was told I couldn’t do this. I could only make new reservations & then ring to cancel the original booking. I didn’t want to do this as I had reserved the only 2 seats on their own which we specifically wanted. I also asked how the voucher works. If I had used it to make the seat & meal reservations could I use the same code again to buy a ticket on the appropriate date. The girl I spoke to could not understand what I was trying to ask so I gave up.The cost of a first class ticket is CHF269 so that will leave a balance of CHF56 on the voucher. So my questions are:

1) Is there some way I can use the balance of CHF56. Maybe by buying drinks on board the train??

2) Are there souvenirs on board the train or at the stations which I could purchase & use up the balance.

3) How will train/shop staff know there is a balance. Will they be able to use the voucher code to find out. There is no bar code to scan.

I have looked everywhere on the Glacier Express website to try & answer these questions but cannot find any information. Can anyone help please.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 19:36:01 #876353

Hi JanePlanner and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I can’t say anything for sure on your questions as really the best thing would be to email or call them back and speak to someone else.

Yes there is food, drinks and souvenirs for purchase – I would guess that you can use the voucher for this but can’t say for sure. As for the voucher itself – perhaps another member has used it and knows for sure.

But I would highly suggest contacting them again for specific details. I’m sure another agent would be able to help you. Often when I call airlines and the agent can’t help or doesn’t know how to help I hang up and call back and speak to someone else. 🙂 It works like a charm.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 February 2018 at 21:01:34 #876354

Hi JanePlanner,

I’m sorry to hear you have issues booking your trip. I am not familiar with Glacier Express vouchers. I’d first contact the company you purchased it from. I’m not sure who you spoke to. While Glacier Express is a company too (“Glacier Express AG”), it mostly is a train operated by two railway companies. It might be useful to contact one of them, and the other one too if the first one can’t answer your questions:

Good luck!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 February 2018 at 22:45:00 #876355

Hi Jane,

I emailed RHB with some issues and they were super friendly and helped me resolve a booking problem.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you only need to pay for reservations so it is going to be difficult to spend CHF 325 on that trip! I can’t see the on-board staff accepting the voucher for anything.

Any chance of a refund on the voucher?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 10:52:36 #876356

Many thanks Lucas. I agree with you. I need to speak to someone at the Glacier Express. I will try again & hopefully find someone more knowledgeable.

Jane

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 10:53:32 #876357

Thanks Arno for links & advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 10:56:25 #876358

Thank you Rock Oyster. It is only me who has the Swiss Travel Pass so I need to buy a ticket using the Voucher for my husband but the voucher is more than the ticket hence the need to find out how I can use the balance. I will try e mailing so I can set out the problem clearly.

• The thread ‘Using a Glacier Express voucher’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.