Regulations for using camera drones in Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
wuregina
wuregina
6 posts
May 11, 2017 - 9:15 AM

What are the regulations on using camera drones in Switzerland?

I found a map outlining areas that drone use is prohibited! For instance, the Jungfrau Region and Pilatus seem to be prohibited!

I will be staying at Hotel Pilatus Kulm! It would be great if I could use one up there!!!!

Thanks!

Arno
Arno
11373 posts
expert &
May 11, 2017 - 3:58 PM

Hi wuregina,

You'll find the regulations on www.bazl.admin.ch/bazl /en/home/good-to-know/drones-and-aircraft-models.html. Basically you are allowed to fly drones below 30 kg if you keep eye contact with it, and if you avoid flying over groups of people (which rules out most tourist spots, at least during day time). On top of these general regulations there are indeed quite some areas where drones are not allowed at all unless you obtain a special permission. You can find those areas on the map on the same page; I assume this is the map you've seen before.

I think your best bet is to study that map carefully. Pilatus is indeed prohibited, as well as many towns, areas around airstrips, etc. Helicopters are frequently used in the mountains, including the Jungfrau region, so that might be the reason for the restrictions there. It looks like you can use a drone in the Titlis area, for example. Not on the peak I assume as there are always lots of people there, but it should be possible around the Trübsee near the mid station of the cableway. Note that I'm no expert on this, I got my information from the above resource.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018