Using Canadian visa card in Switzerland

Using Canadian visa card in Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Helene
Helene
12 posts
May 27, 2018 - 2:11 AM

I am trying to decide if it is better to buy francs in Canada or buy once I arrive in Switzerland. Can I use my Canadian Visa to purchase the half fare card at the Zurich Station once I arrive and can I use it throughout Switzerland for accommodations and restaurants?

Should I bring Canadian dollars to exchange for francs in Switzerland?

Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
May 27, 2018 - 8:34 AM in reply to Helene

Hi Helene and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I've been using my Cdn visa card off and on for years in Switzerland and not had any problems (bad exchange rate though!).

You definitely want Swiss Francs while here though - SBB and other larger shops take credit cards but some shops/restaurants are cash only.

You may want to arrive with some Swiss Francs but you can also withdraw cash from an ATM later on as well.

Helene
Helene
12 posts
May 28, 2018 - 10:22 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks Lucas- I've always travelled with cash already purchased in Canada. Do all ATMs accept Canadian debit cards to withdraw cash?

Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
May 29, 2018 - 5:53 AM in reply to Helene

Pretty much yes. Any major bank atm will certainly. UBS, Credit Suisse etc. Just check the symbols on your specific bank card. There are no shortage of banks in Switzerland ;)

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018