Using Canadian visa card in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 2:11:55 #816241

I am trying to decide if it is better to buy francs in Canada or buy once I arrive in Switzerland. Can I use my Canadian Visa to purchase the half fare card at the Zurich Station once I arrive and can I use it throughout Switzerland for accommodations and restaurants?

Should I bring Canadian dollars to exchange for francs in Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 8:34:04 #886392

Hi Helene and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’ve been using my Cdn visa card off and on for years in Switzerland and not had any problems (bad exchange rate though!).

You definitely want Swiss Francs while here though – SBB and other larger shops take credit cards but some shops/restaurants are cash only.

You may want to arrive with some Swiss Francs but you can also withdraw cash from an ATM later on as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 22:22:36 #886393

Thanks Lucas- I’ve always travelled with cash already purchased in Canada. Do all ATMs accept Canadian debit cards to withdraw cash?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 5:53:01 #886394

Pretty much yes. Any major bank atm will certainly. UBS, Credit Suisse etc. Just check the symbols on your specific bank card. There are no shortage of banks in Switzerland 😉

• The thread ‘Using Canadian visa card in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.