Using Swiss Travel Pass for cross-border trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2018 at 4:28:43 #814070

I’m sure this has been asked and answered, but I couldn’t find it, so– I’ll be traveling by rail from a city in Austria (probably St Anton) to Zurich on the day that my Swiss Rail Pass becomes effective. I assume that I can’t use the SRP for the Austrian portion of the trip, but how do I use it toward the Swiss portion? E.g., do I buy the ticket in St Anton only to the Swiss border (Sargans? Buchs?) and then simply rely on my Swiss Pass for the rest of the trip? Is there any form of rail pass reciprocity between Switz and Austria that would reduce the total trip expense?

Thanks in advance. NTL

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 January 2018 at 5:08:29 #874527

Hello NTL,

Yes, you will need a ticket for the train fro St Anton to the Swiss Border. From there you can just show your Swiss Travel Pass. I don’t know of any reciprocity deals. Would be very surprised if such existed.

If you check the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) it should tell you which town you will cross the border at. Should be Buchs I’d say.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2018 at 6:43:16 #874528

Hi Nevertoolate,

You can use the timetable to look at prices for the entire trip. Hit the purchase button and the you can select “G.A. 1 year subscription” (which is the same discount as the Swiss Travel Pass but for locals) for the Switzerland reduction and the charge will essentially be only for the Austrian portion of the ticket.

It would normally work out to be about the same cost as just buying a ticket to the Swiss border. But you can compare websites on the above link to see if there is any difference in price.

• The thread ‘Using Swiss Travel Pass for cross-border trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.