Using Swiss Travel Pass for cross-border trip

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Nevertoolate
Nevertoolate
30 posts
Jan 18, 2018 - 4:28 AM

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find it, so-- I'll be traveling by rail from a city in Austria (probably St Anton) to Zurich on the day that my Swiss Rail Pass becomes effective. I assume that I can't use the SRP for the Austrian portion of the trip, but how do I use it toward the Swiss portion? E.g., do I buy the ticket in St Anton only to the Swiss border (Sargans? Buchs?) and then simply rely on my Swiss Pass for the rest of the trip? Is there any form of rail pass reciprocity between Switz and Austria that would reduce the total trip expense?

Thanks in advance. NTL

rockoyster
rockoyster
4024 posts
expert
Jan 18, 2018 - 5:08 AM in reply to Nevertoolate

Hello NTL,

Yes, you will need a ticket for the train fro St Anton to the Swiss Border. From there you can just show your Swiss Travel Pass. I don't know of any reciprocity deals. Would be very surprised if such existed.

If you check the Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) it should tell you which town you will cross the border at. Should be Buchs I'd say.

Last modified on Jan 18, 2018 - 5:10 AM by rockoyster
Lucas
Lucas
9613 posts
expert &
Jan 18, 2018 - 6:43 AM in reply to Nevertoolate

Hi Nevertoolate,

You can use the timetable to look at prices for the entire trip. Hit the purchase button and the you can select "G.A. 1 year subscription" (which is the same discount as the Swiss Travel Pass but for locals) for the Switzerland reduction and the charge will essentially be only for the Austrian portion of the ticket.

It would normally work out to be about the same cost as just buying a ticket to the Swiss border. But you can compare websites on the above link to see if there is any difference in price.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018