Using the Berner Oberland Regional Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 19:33:33 #815747

I am flying into Basel. From there, I will take the bus to the train station and then the train to Muerren (i.e. to Interlaken Ost, Lauterbrunnen, and then Muerren). I believe this train route passes through Bern?

I will have the Berner Oberland Regional Pass which is valid from Bern on. My question is, do I just purchase a ticket from Basel to Bern, get on a train that is bound for Interlaken Ost, and then when we reach Bern, the BORP kicks in? Do I have to get off the train in Bern? Or, do I just show my purchased ticket in Basel, and then whip out the BORP in Bern when asked for my ticket?

Thanks so much for your help.

E

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 May 2018 at 21:20:02 #884313

Hello E,

You need a ticket from Basel Euroairport to Bern. Some trains go Basel SBB to Interlaken direct some change at Spiez. Unlikely you would need to change at Bern. Just show your ticket/BO Pass to inspector on train when asked. You don’t need to show anything to board.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 1:43:14 #884314

Hi emilym,

You can use the timetable to plan the trip from Basel EuroAirport to Murren and then see where the train travels and where on the trip the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland kicks in (which would be Bern 99 times out of 100. 🙂 So after Bern show the rail pass when asked and before Bern show the ticket.

• The thread ‘Using the Berner Oberland Regional Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.