Actually using the Swiss Half-Fare Card

• pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    22 November 2018 at 0:28:04 #818996

I know you get half off but how do you actually USE it? I’m planning one getting one but how does it work?

For instance, when I’m looking at SBB for a ticket from Zurich to Wengen, I go through the pricing process and part of the fare calculation is saying I have a half-fare card. where in the process do i “prove” I have a card? Can you actually buy a ticket without having one?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2018 at 0:31:26 #899357

You buy the ticket without having to mention the card. Once on the train if when your ticket is checked – this is when you will show the card as proof – and the ticket collector will soon know if you have got the wrong ticket.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    22 November 2018 at 0:33:25 #899358

Ahhh… sort of an honor system. Do they check tickets very often?

BTW… is it an actual card or just a print out of some kind?

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2018 at 0:39:50 #899359

I’m not sure which version you are getting. Personally I have a pukka credit card type plastic card because I have an annual card as if I were a Swiss resident (even though I am not Swiss and live in London)

On most Swiss fast and/or important trains tickets are checked frequently. Soem local services carry and ‘eye’ type symbol. On these there is no ticket collector and the system is based on honesty (with a hefty fine if caught without a ticket)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2018 at 9:02:21 #899360

Hi Pkerr,

When buying the Swiss Half Fare Card online: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price you’ll get an email to print at home (so it is just a paper sheet) and you’ll have a back up to print again if you lose it which is great (and not an option if you buy in Switzerland).

It is indeed an honour system in Switzerland. They will possibly not check on every train you take but hefty fines are handed out if you don’t have a ticket (or buy a half fare ticket without having the Swiss Half Fare Card itself).

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    22 November 2018 at 15:28:19 #899361

Is it something you could put on your phone or do you need the physical proof?

Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 November 2018 at 15:47:00 #899362

Hi Pkerr,

It is explained in the link Lucas gave you. Apart from that, the “How to use” section of our Swiss Half Fare Card page might be useful too if you have any questions left: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/howtou se.

• The thread ‘Actually using the Swiss Half-Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.