Using the Swiss rail pass calculation spreadsheet

• Pbcemail
    Participant
    3 posts
    12 February 2020 at 23:49:38 #825204

I am completely confused. I downloaded the spreadsheet, but it is read only. I finally scrolled down below the examples and was able to enter some segments, but I can’t figure out how to get the price data. I have tried various links from here and tried using both a Chromebook with the SBB app, and Windows 10 with google chrome browser. I also put the SBB app on my phone, but it is too difficult to use on the phone. Also, how do you select a single mode of transportation? I am trying to determine the best pricing for my week in Switzerland by myself as suggested by you on many issues.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2020 at 1:07:40 #930097

Hi Pbcemail

You have to open the spreadsheet in a program like Excel. If you don’t have Excel you can use google sheets, it’s free.

it took me a while to figure it out as well. Just replace what’s listed with what you’d like to do.

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    13 February 2020 at 1:16:08 #930098

I’m sure others can provide more detailed advice and links to help you, but I am using Chrome on my laptop and the SBB timetable page provides pricing information for any trip you choose. Plug in the beginning & end points, date, time, etc. and click “Search.” From the list of responses, I just click a red box to the right of any specific trip option, and it shows the price, lets you pick one way or roundtrip, 1st or 2nd class, etc. The price shown is 1/2 the full fare price (they indicate it is the Swiss Half Fare price).

To select a single transport mode, click on the Advance Search option next to the origin/destination location pair and scroll down to the Transport Type box where you can select or deselect any of the transport methods.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 February 2020 at 2:02:34 #930099

Hello Pbcemail and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you find the SBB mobile app too difficult to use you are doing something wrong. It is by far the most simple way to find prices.

To select a single mode of transport click on the icon in the first attachment. The select the mode of transport you want from the list shown in the second attachment.

The SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, the mobile app allows you to nominate whether to show full or half-fares (by editing the passenger details in settings) and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass) if that offers the best fare. The app can also display a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make connections. You can also easily filter modes of transport (eg bus or ship).

The app (or website) will always show the fastest, most direct routes unless you tell it you want to go a longer way round by including other stations to go VIA. For example, if you wanted to follow the Golden Pass route you would need to search the SBB app looking for Luzern to Montreux via Interlaken and Zweisimmen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2020 at 7:35:59 #930100

Hi Pbcemail,

if you are not familiar with the SBB timetable then first study the descriptions at http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable. It also explains how to find ticket prices.

For the calculation spreadsheet (http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass) you should be able to write everywhere not just in a few places. (The little red triangles in the corners give you extra hints and tips.) You should open the spreadsheet in Google Spreadsheet (within the Google Drive) or in Excel. Do you know how to use any of them?

Please let us know how are you doing. If you are not familiar with these systems it can be difficult for first sight. If you have any print screen where you stuck it would also help us to understand the problem.

I’ve found these video guide on Youtube, they might help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSwP4UwpD-w&list=PL2y5uecQPrF0co4GZXKRa2S1BIzIu6SVa

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2020 at 13:58:03 #930101

I’m a little confused with part of the SBB app. You say it can be set to show full fare prices instead of the default half fares. To put it in the words of Ricky Ricardo “‘Splain”.

I opened the advanced search and checked ‘show prices in timetable’ and all that seems to do is, well, show prices in the timetable. What does the ‘%from CHF5.80’ mean? One would think there would be check boxes for ‘show full fare’ and ‘show half fare’. Clarification needed.

Thanks.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 February 2020 at 19:33:02 #930102

To set full or half fare click the menu button (top left). Then go Settings -> Travellers -> Edit Passenger Information and tick or leave blank the appropriate box. See attached. You can also edit passenger information when you go to “Select a Ticket” for a particular journey. See second attachment. (1/1) next to your name means full fare, (1/2) means what it says. 😉

% in front if a price means there is a Supersaver fare available. Supersaver fares are tied to a particular train departure. Regular fares are valid for a whole day for a single trip on a given route.

• The thread ‘Using the Swiss rail pass calculation spreadsheet’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.