Using your travel pass on a Swiss lake ferry

• stodgytj
    Participant
    52 posts
    2 January 2018 at 20:50:39 #813917

If you have a travel pass and use it to board a lake ferry does that count as a travel day on your travel pass? We’re getting fifteen day passes but don’t plan on using the train every day but if we use the passes on a ferry does that use up one of our travel days for the pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 January 2018 at 21:42:57 #873453

Are you referring to the Swiss Travel Pass Flex? If so, then yes, a boat trip (or a cable car or bus ride) wil require you to use a day on your Pass. Unless of course you want to buy a ticket and save the travel day for another more expensive trip.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 January 2018 at 22:01:19 #873454

Hi Stodgytj-

Which travel pass will you carry? If it is the Swiss Travel Pass for 15 days, the clock starts when you first use it and runs for the set number of days, whether you use it or not. A Flex Pass works the way Rockoyster described.

Slowpoke

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    4 January 2018 at 5:04:45 #873455

I have just received our two STP Flex tickets which will fit our needs perfectly. However I have found in the attached fine print which was included with the tickets, museum passes can only be included on the same day of travel, selected as per the rail pass. This means that a rail trip arriving at say Lucerne at 4.30pm on Tuesday, would not allow free admission to museums on Wednesday.

I can only assume this would also affect any further discounts applied to Cog rail, and access to other sight seeing attractions surrounding Lucerne which were planned for the Wednesday also.

I have unfortunately misread the benefits of the Flex Pass. I would like to be proved wrong though.

Regards Wallaby

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 January 2018 at 5:41:52 #873456

You may well have misread the benefits of a Flex Pass, Bob. 😟

In order take a train, bus, boat, cog wheel railway, cable car or visit a museum or art gallery using the Pass you have to use a “travel day” – ie write in that date in the next available box. You need to weigh up whether using a travel day for whatever is the best use.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpassflex/howt ouse

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    4 January 2018 at 7:47:51 #873457

Thanks Rocky,

We intend to use our pass for 4 lengthy rail trips but I will try and utilise some of the freebies where we can.

Bob

• The thread ‘Using your travel pass on a Swiss lake ferry’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.