Val D”Herens or Val D”Anniviers for 4 nights?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2017 at 1:58:17 #810613

Hello,

We were planning on doing a 4 night hotel-to-hotel hike but can’t decide between the Val D’Herens or the Val D’Anniviers. Does anyone have any thoughts on which option is the better, more scenic hike?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 January 2017 at 2:26:36 #858186

Hi Cannucker-

Experience only with Val d’Herrens, many years ago.

Pleasant. No memories that make me want to go back.

I have a friend from Canton Vaud who vacations and hikes there, in the Val d’Herrens.. I’ll see if he has any comments. May take a few days.

When do you plan to travel?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2017 at 2:38:15 #858187

Thanks for your prompt reply! We plan on hiking there in early September. I would appreciate hearing what your friend has to say, but I am in no rush. Cheers

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    19 January 2017 at 11:39:06 #858188

Hi Cannucker,

It depends a bit on your condition for hiking and your budget. Also, are the four days fully available for your hike, i.e. do they not include the approach and/or the departure trips?

Val d’Anniviers is better equipped with hotels and tourist facilities. Val d’Hérens (which I am more familiar with) is more “typical”, e.g. if you want to hike away from the crowds and shoot nice photos. Hotels are available, but some are modest in terms of comfort.

I have three proposals:

1. Start in Vercorin (to be reached from Sierre by postal bus and cable car). Various hotels there, I don’t have personal experience. On the first day hike to St-Martin (Accommodation at Pension Pas-de-Lona in Eison, no personal experience). 2nd day hike to La Sage (accommodation at Hôtel de La Sage, I have been there, it’s a nice one). 3rd day hike to Arolla (accommodation at the Kurhaus, I have been there, very nice “Belle époque” mountain hotel, if budget is no constraint… Otherwise there are other hotels in Arolla. Oops, that’s only three days, but you can modify using the link I give below. Such as hiking back from Arolla to Les Haudères via the very scenic Lac Bleu.

2. You can also visit both valleys, if you are fit to cross the Col du Torrent pass. In September it should still be snow-free. I suggest two days here, add whatever you want before Zinal. Once you are in Zinal (sleep there, many options available), hike to La Sage via Col du Torrent. You will see the Lac de Moiry reservoir, very scenic. Stay in La Sage as mentioned above. The next day hike to Arolla as described above.

3. If you are in excellent condition and don’t insist on comfort, you could hike day one from Nax to Cabane des Becs de Bosson (that’s an Alpine Club “hut”, sleep in dormitories, bring a cloth sleeping bag, blankets available, I have been there). On day 2 hike to La Sage, on day 3 to Arolla as described above. If you are willing and able to do that, it would be the alternative providing the best memories!

Check out the SwitzerlandMobility website : http://www.wanderland.ch/en/s uisse-a-pied.html

Get familiar with this site, first make sure you are on the hiking pages (not cycling, canoeing etc.). Then go to the Map. Zoom in as you like. The hiking trails appear in green. For some trails, additional information is provided when you click on them. The Zinal to La Sage trail is called Alpine Passes Trail Stage 19, and La Sage to Arolla is Stage 20 of the same. Nax-Becs de Bosson-La Sage is Tour Pédestre du Val d’Hérens Stages 2 and 1.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 January 2017 at 13:07:29 #858189

Hi Cannucker-

My friend turned into a Snowman and has answered.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 January 2017 at 13:09:14 #858190

Hi Snowman-

Welcome to my Swiss Alps.

Thanks for joining us.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7124 posts
    19 January 2017 at 14:19:12 #858191

Hi Snowman, welcome to MySwissAlps and thanks for your input in cannucker’s post! To be honest we’re not that familiar with either Val d’Anniviers or Val d’Hérens, so it’s valuable to have your experience and opinions here. I’m sure it’s very helpful to cannucker and other members interested in this region.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    19 January 2017 at 14:25:05 #858192

Hi Annika, I am glad to be of service!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2017 at 0:14:13 #858193

Hi Snowman,

Wow! Thank you so much for your detailed response! Looks like I have a fair amount of homework to do…I appreciate your taking the time to answering my post.

🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 January 2017 at 0:39:49 #858194

Hi cannucker-

These links may help you –

A useful map:

map.search.ch/Vercorin ?pos=610544,122096&z=16

Explore the options under “Points of Interest.”

The ultimate topo map of Switzerland, in addition to what Snowman has correctly suggested for finding known routes from Switzerland Mobility:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&X=122904.04 &Y=607199.69&zoom=6

The timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Please read the instructions.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2017 at 15:17:47 #858195

Thank you Slowpoke! Those links are very helpful!

Cannucker

• The thread ‘Val D”Herens or Val D”Anniviers for 4 nights?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.