Validation of Swiss rail pass in Paris

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2011 at 14:42:46 #804782

Hello,

Myself with my wife and 8 year old daughter are going from Paris to Basel and then to various places in Switzerland.

We have bought a Swiss pass for 2 adults for 5 days.

We have also bought discounted TGV tickets from Paris to Basel and from Basel to Paris.

My questions are :

1. Can we activate the Swiss passes in Paris? Will the SNCF authority do it routinely and if they do not, what are my options?

2. Is the Swiss pass alone enough for us to use discounted fare on Paris-Basel TGV. Kindly note that we do not have the French pass.

Similarly, when we return from Basel to Paris, again is the Swiss pass alone enough to use the discounted ticket in the TGV, withoug having the French pass.

3. In case we do not have the free Family Card for my daughter, can we get it in Basel. My 8 year old daughter travels for free in most trains in Switzerland since myself and my wife have the Swiss passes, but when we go from Paris to Basel, in case we do not have the Family Card (which is supposed to be free), would we have to face any penalty?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kumar

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 November 2011 at 2:55:20 #834501

Hi Kumar, and welcome!

Basel is just across the border, so your trip is basically in France only. Therefor, Swiss discounts do not apply. You can have your pass validated at the Basel rail station, and most probably in the train Paris – Basel as well. The Swiss Family Card can be obtained for free in Basel if you show your Swiss Pass and passports at the ticket office. Be sure to look into prices, resellers and further details of the pass here.

Enjoy!

• The thread ‘Validation of Swiss rail pass in Paris’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.