Validity of Swiss rail tickets & time limit ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2018 at 16:37:26 #818358

Hello,

I am a little confused with the validity of the ticket. Is there a time limit that i should complete my journey from Point A to Point B once the ticket is activated/Validated ?

I will be using Half Fare card to purchase train tickets, Travelling from Montreux to Lauterbrunnen (via zweisimmen) with getting down at 1st stop – Montbovon for 4 hours (visiting Gruyers , Broc , Chateau) and 2nd stop – Interlaken OST for 2 hours (Visiting Harder Kulm).

So can i purchase ticket for the whole journey, and take train Starting from Montreux / Montbovon or zweisimmen or Interlaken anytime of the day, however i wish to , ofcourse during the validity of 1 day?

To do this, do i need to purchase tickets at station OR can i purchase tickets 1 day before using SBB app and board any train starting from Montreux in the direction of Zweisimmen.

I am just trying to avoid the overhead of carrying / purchasing tickets throughout the day.

Thanks,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2018 at 23:42:09 #896220

You can choose the travel date on your ticket when you buy it. Once you start the journey if you finish the journey in one day you will have no problems.

A very simple way to buy the ticket for such a journey would be to use a ticket machine at Montreux before you set off, or even buy the ticket in Montreux ticket office.

If you use the standard Swiss railway ticket machines you will be offered the choice of ‘travel today’ or ‘choose date of travel’

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 September 2018 at 2:37:15 #896221

Hello Luv87 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

A Montreux to Lauterbrunnen via Zweisimmen ticket bought using the SBB app anytime before you travel is all you need. Hop on an off at will. Providing of course you are not reserving seats. Reservations apply to a specific train.

The via Zweisimmen bit is important. The SBB app (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) will otherwise offer you the fastest connection Montreux to Lauterbrunnen and other routes may have a different fare structure.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    16 September 2018 at 8:50:29 #896222

Sbb allows us to buy Point to Point tickets 30 days in advance. VERY IMPORTANT: For advance Pt to Pt tickets, you need to be VERY CERTAIN of the date & route you are travelling. The reason is because you will have to indicate your day of travel when purchasing online. No validation needed when we use it.

Thats what we did on our last trip and this upcoming one. We bought point Pt to Pt online 1st Class and printed them out. These were for our main routes. We also printed our Swiss Half Fare Card as we had to show both the Pt to Pt tickets and Half Fare Card to the inspector on the train. I also carried an extra hardcopy of our tickets and Half Fare Card. Now I even have the tickets stored in the Sbb app as well.

If you are unsure of your dates, it is best to buy when you are there.

• The thread ‘Validity of Swiss rail tickets & time limit ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.