Varenna to Innsbruck via the Bernina Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2017 at 7:15:01 #811407

Hi

We need to travel from Varenna in Italy on Wednesday 6th June to arrive in Innsbruck by late afternoon on Thursday 7th June. We want to travel on the Bernina Express for part of the journey. Could you please help with ideas about:

– travelling from Varenna to the Bernina Express

– somewhere to stay on the evening of the 6th June

– how to get from that point to Innsbruck.

We would also appreciate advice on the best type of tickets and whether we need to pre-purchase them (and where to purchase from)

Thankyou!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2017 at 9:20:10 #861572

Hi Padgal and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can travel from Varenna to Tirano in about 1.5 hours by train. From Tirano you can take the Bernina Express to Chur at 10:03am and arrive in Chur at 14:52. From here you can head straight to Innsbruck (about 4 hours). It could all be done in one day if you wish!

You can check timetables for all trains here, and read all about the Bernina Express here.
    You do have to reserve seats on the Bernina Express in advance as well as buy a tickets. You can purchase both for the train on the link above.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2017 at 9:34:43 #861573

Thanks Lucas – we appreciate your suggestions. As we are a couple in our mid 60s we like to take our time! Where would you suggest is a good place to break our journey please?

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2017 at 9:44:42 #861574

I would stay overnight in Tirano I think. Leave Varenna later in the day and then take the Bernina Express the next morning.

If you don’t want to travel from Tirano to Innsbruck in 1 day (4 hours plus break in Chur plus 3 hours) I would stay in Chur for convenience after the Bernina Express. Or break the Bernina Express up and stay in St. Moritz.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 April 2017 at 21:36:15 #861575

Hi padgal,

Suggestion from a fellow “senior” traveller if you are fixed on travelling 6/7 June. Depart Varenna in time to take the 14:03 BEX from Tirano. Overnight at St Moritz then regular trains from St Moritz via Chur (same route as BEX but no Panorama cars and no reservation fee) to Innsbruck.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2017 at 9:51:44 #861576

Thanks Lucas and rockoyster for your very helpful replies – one last question – is it best to buy the tickets on-line or from a travel agent in Varenna?

Cheers

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2017 at 10:33:09 #861577

It would be easier to buy tickets online for the Bernina Express (and sooner the better as reservations can sell out).

For any standard (non-panoramic trains) don’t worry about buying tickets in advance.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2017 at 13:13:13 #861578

Thanks again Lucas will purchase the tickets on line. I have read sitting on the left hand side of the carriage is the best side / is it worth booking the panorama carriage in your opinion?

cheers

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2017 at 14:55:54 #861579

Is it worth traveling on the panoramic train? Yes I think so! (and you must book a seat if you decide to travel on it).

I believe on the Bernina Express (and Glacier Express) it won’t show you which side you are on unfortunately. That may have changed, either way don’t worry too much about the side you end up sitting on. 🙂

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2017 at 12:44:49 #861580

Thanks again Lucas – will book our trip on line

cheers

• The thread ‘Varenna to Innsbruck via the Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.