How to get a VAT refund leaving Zermatt for Italy

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2019 at 23:35:28 #822404

I will be arriving Zurich Airport by flight. My last place at Switzerland is Zermatt. Then I will travel to Italy by train to Florence. May I know if I bought good at Switzerland, how can I do tax refund? As Switzerland is not under EU, read some article it mention must get custom stamp at nearest border custom before enter Italy. Is that true? Appreciate valuable advise from you all.

I had read some articles say if you are buying good at Switzerland and leaving at EU, just do at EU which is acceptable and not for the other round which you last stop is Switzerland. Is that true?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 June 2019 at 9:57:56 #915802

Hi Nwc81! I’m not too familiar with the VAT refund procedures. As far as I can tell, you can apply for refunds for purchases of CHF 300 at least and you’ll have to do so at manned border stations in or near Switzerland. There are a couple of them on the route from Zermatt to Italy. You’ll find further information following the link “Refund of Swiss VAT” under “Government & Visa” at myswissalps.com/abouts witzerland/practical/w ebsites.

• The thread ‘How to get a VAT refund leaving Zermatt for Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.