Venice to Lucerne without a Swiss Travel Pass

• TellyBrian
    Participant
    9 posts
    20 June 2019 at 6:35:49 #822371

I am a little confused about travel from Venice to Lucerne.

We are traveling in October 2019 and I booked all accommodation in Lucerne, Interlaken and Basel months ago.Now it is getting closer, I am in the process of thinking about train travel.

We will be spending 6 days in Switzerland then leaving from Basel on a river cruise. Prior to arriving, we are going on a Greek island cruise from Venice.

I have following the forum daily for months but am still a little confused in regards to travel between Italy and Switzerland.

When I go onto train travel booking sites they will allow me to book a train from Venice to Lucerne direct with a change in Milan. However, I recall seeing a number of posts that say you need an additional ticket from the Swiss border.

Which is correct? Will one ticket cover the entire journey from Venice or do I need to get a second ticket at the border..

We will be getting Swiss travel passes for 4 days and just pay a single ticket on the last day from Interlaken to Basel so I am only looking to clarify my needs on day 1.

Any help would be appreciated.

• The thread ‘Venice to Lucerne without a Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.